words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Amazing Balsamic Vinaigrette

Ok, your foodies, and you frugal chefs, here is one for you!

Last night we were out of salad dressing and so I had to whip one up from scratch. This one sounded promising--and was THE BEST SALAD DRESSING I have eaten in maybe forever. Oh, it is good. And SO SO easy! And SO frugal--this must have cost something like 30 cents to make! And green too, since making my own dressing will save on packaging. Awesome all around!

And best of all, in my mind, it showed me that a simple salad can be amazingly good, with the right dressing. Because I was cleaning out the fridge last night and all I had for the salad was red leaf lettuce, red cabbage, and carrot. That seemed really boring until I added the dressing! But then the flavor woke up my mouth and I realized I had ripe avocado and added that too--Mmmmmmm!

Please someone try it and let me know what you think!

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Whisk together:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3-5 cloves raw garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons finely grated Parmesean cheese

Gradually add:
1 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin)

Salt and pepper to taste (I only did pepper, since the cheese is naturally salty)

5 comments:

  1. yum! I'll be giving this a shot at dinner! thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM....I HAVE to try this...may fav dressing right now is craft Balsamic...but it's $$$. Well only $2.89 a bottle....but that could sooo come down if I try making it....thanks for the share!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you both like it!

    And I realized I was being a real ditz when I estimated the cost of the dressing to be 30 cents. But I was not thinking of the cost of the oil or vinegar, just the stuff that went into it. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh LOL! It's still probably less than store bought :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. I've been wanting some new recipes!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete