words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, June 18, 2010

(Frugal) Idea for the Day: Re-using baking soda

Every now and then I get an idea for being just a little bit "greener" or for simplifying life, or for saving one fraction of a penny. Sometimes when I am actually practicing one of these ideas, I think to myself, "I should blog about this."


So, here is idea #1! You lucky people. And warning--this is pretty much a "well, duh!" kind of idea. But hey, every idea is new to someone sometime.


Pretty much everybody knows baking soda is a great, natural and even plastic free (in the cardboard boxes, that is--I have seen plastic bags of it at Costco. Hssssss.) agent for cleaning. You can use it for all KINDS of things--I particularly enjoy it for cleaning my stove top and kitchen sink. But that is not the point of this post. I am trying to learn how to be a better steward of the Earth, and make wise choices about its resources. So anytime I can get multiple uses out of any one thing, I am very happy.

So here is how I get more than one use out of baking soda! First, I start with a fresh box for cooking. After that box has been open a while in the pantry, I swap it out for a new one. The older box gets its top opened almost all the way, and is placed in the fridge or freezer to absorb odors. When the box is no longer working at that job (about 3 months max, and it probably works best to stir the baking soda if you ever think about it) I then empty the contents into a glass screw-lid jar I keep in the cleaning cupboard--labeled "Baking soda, for cleaning." This is the jar I go to when I want to scour something, or to neutralize a stinky outdoor trash can before pick-up day (just dump it on, liberally!). The Arm & Hammer website also says you can "recycle" your used baking soda by rinsing it down the drains--supposedly it helps keep your pipes cleaner, so in theory they won't get clogged, although A&H is quick to say they do not recommend trying to unclog pipes with it.

And oh, here is one more green--frugal--plastic free use for baking soda: use a cotton ball or powder puff to apply under your arms for a natural deodorant. Seriously, try it! I like it so much better than the old stuff--here comes a little TMI--since before after shaving under my arms my skin would be too sensitive for deodorant after the shower. The baking soda does not irritate, so I can be smooth AND fresh at the same time! Niiiiiiiice.

There you go! Many more ideas of this caliber to come. . . ; )

10 comments:

  1. That is really smart. And organized. I want to steal it but wonder if I can be that organized.

    Right now, I buy baking soda for cleaning and I buy baking soda for baking. One box in the cupboard and one under the sink. Oh, and one upstairs to wash my hair. I need to rethink this...

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! Thanks!!

    I find that using vinegar with my baking soda is an effective drain cleaner. Something about the fizz.

    I also use baking soda as shampoo, toothpaste, and to pull moisture out of my carpet when there are spills. It's such a handy thing to have around the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use b-soda (mixed with cornstarch and sometimes an EO) as deodorant, too! I might give it another shot once my sauve stuff is gone...I hate those artificial scents, but I'm sweaty (not stinky though...that's a good thing, hehe!) so I need something that *works*.

    I *LOVE* your baking soda routine! I use b-soda for all that as well, I'm just not that organized...although...I think I will be now...genius! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. baking soda works better for scrubbing than any of the gnarly scrubbing chemical cleaners. i love it for my sink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart baking soda!!!! It's totally great as deodorant and I'll echo Scottish twins' note about the vinegar with it as a drain "declogger". One other thing I love about it is that you can GENTLY use it as a facial scrub mixed with a little water to make a paste. Skin is sensitive though so don't scrub too hard, gentle! But it works great and your skin will feel so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your routine for baking soda! I'll have to give it a try. As someone else mentioned, I use baking soda for washing my hair (with apple cider vinegar), my hair/scalp are so much happier! I don't even have to wash my hair everyday any more! Hmm... I may have to try your deodorant idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to clarify--I am actually not THAT organized. It is much more simple than I think I made it sound. Whenever I need more baking soda in my cleaning jar, I go get it from the freezer/fridge. Then I go get the previously opened "cooking" box from the cupboard and stick it in the freezer/fridge. Then the next time I am cooking and need baking soda, I open a new box! See, simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very cool to hear so many of you are using baking soda for washing hair. Kudos to you!

    Scottish Twins, I thought about using it for brushing teeth, and was planning on doing so as soon as my current tubes run out--esp. because I have found toothpaste with baking soda really helped my gums be healthier. But then, as I have been doing all my plastics research, I have been reading a lot of the blog "Fake Plastic Fish," which is on my sidebar. And while she is doing whatever she can to be green and specifically plastic free, including using baking soda for her hair and deodorant, I noticed she was not using it to brush her teeth. I don't remember reading a specific post saying why--guess I will have to go back and look for that--but I assumed she found/believed that baking soda just was not good enough for her dental needs. And this may sound lazy, but until I have a chance to do more research, if someone that extreme thinks "real" toothpaste is worth the plastic bits on the tube, then that is good enough for me. For the moment, I'm still buying toothpaste. : )

    Anon, so with you about baking soda so much better than ANY chemical cleaner!!!!

    Gabe, welcome and thanks for posting a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and just so you all know, Shera (The Yorks) has the most GORGEOUS skin. Seriously. Like porcelain. So if she says you can use a gentle baking soda scrub, you can believe her. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lisa:

    I love your post about baking soda! FYI: I have used baking soda to clear
    out the bathroom sink drain. It always gets gunked up with toothpaste and
    fine hairs, especially since we are so frugal with water and things don't
    necessarily get washed down the drain with gallons of water. Here's what I
    do: Remove the stopper. With my "fancy" sink, this actually requires a
    screw driver (UGH). After removal, shove baking soda down the hole. A
    popscicle stick, butter knife (My favorite universal tool), or screw driver
    works nicely. Next, pour vinegar down drain. The bubbling action loosens up
    the algae, toothpaste and other accumulated gunk. If you are really into it,
    take an old toothbrush and scrub down the drain as far as you can reach.

    -Alberta

    ReplyDelete