words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, June 21, 2010

lament for a long favorite thing, now leaving me

Here is what I just posted on freecycle:

(And I don't normally blog on freecycle posts, or for that matter IN freecycle posts, but this one warranted it)


This one is sooooooo hard to give up. But it is time. So, here is the story:

The summer before my freshman year of high school, I worked as a babysitter to earn extra cash. I was the queen of babysitters--sometimes I would go from one job in the morning to one job in the afternoon to another job in the evening! And even though I was paid pittance (anyone else remember when one dollar an hour per child sat was considered good money?!), my hard work slowly added up, and at the end of the summer I had $300 to spend. And yes, I said spend--for I loved fashion but our family did not have enough money for me to get fancy label clothes like all the "cool" kids in jr. high. (Ah, youth.) So with my parents' blessing, I took the bus with my older sister up to Woodfield Mall, outside of Chicago. This was shopping heaven for a girl still new to that whole world. I spent my money carefully, chosing to get a few choice items rather than a whole bunch of stuff. I still remember them all! But the absolute best piece was a buttery soft, brown suede skirt from Banana Republic. Fitted waist, fully lined, falling just above the knee. It cost me $150--half of my earnings. Oh, but it was worth it--so beautiful to feel, to see. One of the most gorgeous pieces of leather I have ever felt--a skirt not made for a 14 year old girl, but a professional woman. Ahhhhhhhh.

Where was I? Oh, right. Fast forward 25 years (and four children!) and--surprise, surprise--the skirt no longer fits. I saved it for so long thinking one of my three daughters might like it someday, since it is so gorgeous and fairly timeless in style. Alas, the perpetually damp conditions here in Aptos has taken its toll on the leather, and I know I will not be able to save it any longer for a possible someday. It needs to be used and loved by somebody NOW before it is too late.

The skirt smells musty, and has lighter-colored spots everywhere. **I do not know if they will come out when professionally cleaned and brushed, but I have a feeling they will. But I cannot spend the $ to find out.

Is there anyone out there who can use this skirt? It is a size 4, and believe it or not, made in the USA! Ah, the good old days. . . I don't care if you even want to repurpose it--I just don't want it to end up on the floor at the Bargin Barn. I want this--a trophy of my youth--used and maybe even loved.



I decided to post it here too because it shows you all how brutal I am being in my decluttering these days. Also, because it demonstrates the early manifestations of what I was saying in my last post about inherently (thanks, Mom!) expensive taste--what other 14yrd old would spend half of her hard-earned babysitting money on one piece of amazing quality, rather than a handful of "awesome" outfits from The Limited? (This was 1985, remember.)

And lastly, I am posting this in the faint hopes that one of you, my virtual village, will want it. Because I would love to send it to you, if you do, no charge. Do you know of any crafty people who re-purpose leather? Let them know about this offer too. I just *can't* *stand* waste, and throwing this out seems like a phenomenal waste. . .

So, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. What?!? No picture of you in 1985 glory wearing this skirt?!? Blessed, I think we need a picture ;)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my 14 year old daughter would LOVE it. Just her style AND size. Is it still available?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, alas, the only photo I know of of me in this skirt is from my junior year of H.S., and I look stunning. ; ) BUT of course it is an old-fashioned non-digital photo, at my parent's house in IL. No chance of uploading it!

    If you want blackmail photos, I guess my best friend from h.s. Susan will have to provide. (Susan if you read this and get the wicked urge, only do a GOOD one!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Early Modern Mom, IT IS YOURS!!! I am THRILLED that someone wants it. I just posted at your blog asking you to email me with your address--I'll send it ASAP!

    And when you get it, please do tell me the rest of the story--if it fit, if it cleaned up well, etc.

    I am so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad your skirt is finding a new home:)!

    ReplyDelete