words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

#2

When I was getting ready to send the prizes from my bloggiversary (hey, I just noticed "give/giver" in the middle of that made-up word! Perfect!), I happened to see Mary at Owlhaven's post about upcycled mailing envelopes. That was just the right touch for packaging these little gifts--pretty, green, frugal, and slightly crafty. I save gift bags for regifting, and so had a nice selection to choose from--and as you can see, came up with some pretty girly (but not necessarily little girly) designs.

I'm not sure mine turned out as well as Mary's did. The big pink one with white flower was the first I tried, and if you fold the top of the bag under (where the holes for the carrying strings are) then you end up with a square envelope--was barely the right size for what I was mailing. So then for the next one, with the girl and dogs, I just left the string holes visible (I couldn't decapitate the poor girl by turning the top edges under!) and put clear packing tape over them. The last one--the iridescent pink!--I had to take apart to fit the book into. If you don't start out with a big enough envelope, then you have to undo the flaps that make up the bottom of the bag, and then that leaves big creases on your "envelope." So I think mine looked a little more makeshift than they would have otherwise. . . But still, the packaging fits the values and ideas in this blog, esp. being less than perfect! ; )

And the post office lady did not bat an eye when I handed them over, including the one going all the way to England.

Rebecca, Carrie, Nydia, let me know if they arrive safely!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, fun packaging! I can't wait.

    I now have I Ran rattling around my head (again). So...thanks for that too ;)

    Your weekend sounds just perfect, by the way - the snow, the company. Lovely.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. What a wonderful idea for mailing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And I should mention too that I saved the handle strings--attractive pink shades, of course--which can then be used for tying a label to a gift down the road, esp. because I love the idea of using reusable cloth (scarves, pillowcases, etc) as gift wrappings, and colorful cords are perfect for those.

    I am so glad that reusing and upcycling has become a trend--I have ALWAYS saved and reused gift bags, and used to feel like people did not appreciate it--like I was too much of a tightwad. Now I am "green" and that's cool! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tea! I'll probably save it for home, where I have more control over steeping times. I like to drink Red Rose tea at work because it is very mellow, so if I get caught up in something and let it steep for 15 minutes it's still ok! My husband actually orders that tea for me from England, Carrie! I'm looking forward to tea time on Saturday; it smells delicious.

    The snow looks lovely, but right now I'm so cold that I'm glad it was you and not me! We just got back from our first soccer game; it's 30 degrees outside with a steady north wind (no idea what the wind chill is right now, but supposed to be teens tonight) and it rained earlier so the field was slick and muddy. NOT ideal conditions. And E was running around in shorts with no hat or gloves (we've had attitude about dress lately- I was told I'm a mean mom this morning because I made her wear a coat. I'd like to point out that it was 39 degrees and raining at the time!)so now I'm going to go make hot cocoa, and maybe her hands will stop shaking long enough to finish her homework.

    PS. I save bags too, and love the idea of mailing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it got there safely, Rebecca! I'll think of you Saturday then. : )

    ReplyDelete