words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, February 5, 2010

fashion flashback, and lust for a hat

I have been hankering for some personal style for a while now (since, like, around three children ago). I, who once upon a time was quite daring and, um, unique in fashion, now tend to be on the frumpy side. At least I know I'm frumpy--I have no illusions. But that does not mean I like it.

High school was the height or my fashion awareness and creative self-expression through clothing, before college when grunge was cool and all I wore were ratty flannels and black. At 16 I would see a top, for example, and see in my mind's eye what jeans or skirts or shoes or earrings would "make" the outfit. Even if I could not afford to buy it, I knew what was "in" and what would look on me the way I wanted*.

I used to love clothes. When I was in middle school, a lady for whom I had a regular babysitting gig would give me her old Vogue and Harper's Bazaar and Women's Wear Weekly. The ads in those magazines alone were fascinating, and I literally papered my bedroom with them (or at least my half, my sister Rebecca using her half to illustrate her love of horses and Mitch Gaylord).

Then when I had just turned 16, I got a job at a high-end locally owned department store, working in the "Working Woman" department. The clothes were not quite what I was interested in as a sophmore in high school, but OH the accessories! OH the store discount (or should I have said, uh-oh)! OH the fun of putting together complete "looks" for women, grown-ups who trusted ME for fashion advice!

From that point on, until a few months before I married, I worked various clothing retail jobs, ending up being groomed as a manager for Casual Corner, if you remember them. In those years I spent a lot of time being around clothes and thinking about clothes and spending my hard-earned money on clothes and really, really liking clothes. So much so that I entertained thoughts of applying to the prestigious Rhode Island School of Design for college--until I saw all the chemistry required for a textiles design major (who would have thunk it).

All those years in fashion now seem like another life. I don't regret falling out of trendy fashion, necessarily, because trendiness does not fit with my life values. And I certainly don't regret leaving the world of retail--those were some of the most pointless and soul-sucking jobs I have ever had (and I have had a lot). What I miss is just simply knowing what is considered stylish this year. Even if I can't afford to buy it, or choose not to buy it, I wish I could still evaluate with a glance of the eye what is "in" and what will look on the me way I want.

One of my favorite outfits back in h.s. was a mauvey knit long turtleneck sweater,** which I wore over ratty old cream thermal underwear of my dad's, with brown boots and a denim jacket which I had embellished. It WAS the 1980's, but believe me, no one else was wearing that exact same "look," at least in my h.s. The ripped long johns gave the chunky sweater an edge--I felt slightly daring, and yet I was completely covered, and best of all, warm on the long walk to and from school (3 miles in the snow. . . ok, ok, three blocks).

When a certain v-neck sweater from The Limited was THE hot sweater, I liked it so much I broke down and bought one--rose colored--but refused to wear it like all the other girls frontwards, instead wearing it backwards, with no shirt or bra underneath to spoil the dramatic back. Again--daring, a little edgy, not quite so modest, but comfy and easy to wear.

Another favorite look of mine was a short, tight black knit mini-skirt I wore with a loose, colored top and black lace Calvin Klein leggings and black patent flat sling-backs and of course my embellished denim jacket. Yep, a little daring, a little edgy, but believe it or not, pretty comfy--since the loose top ensured I did not have to walk around all day sucking in my tummy.***

Hmmmmm, I am seeing a pattern here. Slightly on the daring, edgy side of fashion. But comfortable. And I see in these ensembles glimpses of an almost unbreakable rule of fashion, wise beyond my years: my top half could be baggy or my bottom half, but either way the other half had to be form-fitting. Otherwise I was either too body-conscious and uncomfortable, or I looked like a bag lady.

In my fashion self-assuredness, back at 16, I looked at "older" women who did not seem to "get it" and thought with distain, I will always keep an eye on what is "in" so I don't end up one of those middle-aged women who don't "get it."

And now, of course, that is exactly what I have become.

And I don't really know what to do about it. It seemed like for several years the "in" colors were the absolute worst ones for a "winter" complextion, and I would walk into a store and everything just looked hideous--too ugly, or cheap, or boring, or unflattering to even the models wearing them. And then I discovered--faux-reverent whisper--Anthropologie. And eBay. And that combination provided me with a couple of cute summery outfits, just enough to get me by for warmer weather.

But I can't really afford Anthropologie for my whole wardrobe, and would not want to wear those looks just around the house doing laundry and changing diapers anyway. Slightly daring and edgy--you betcha! Practical, not so much.

At least in the past year it seems like I am seeing some more cute looks that I can wrap my brain around and actually like. Some of the "in" styles kinda make sense to me, and so I can once again somewhat "see" in my mind's eye what I need to "complete" the look of a new sweater, etc. But I fear that the finer-tuning of fashion is still beyond me--that I can't picture the "right" accessories; that my lack of a cool hair-do pretty much invalidates whatever "look" I may successfully make; that I don't even WANT to have the "right" shoes, I just want to wear what I already have and not add any more frivolous stuff to my wardrobe or spend any more money or too much thought on what does not ultimately matter, but then will wearing the shoes I already have end up making this cute new sweater look silly on me?

I used to be much more creative in my fashion choices, and was great at making do with what I had:

My favorite belt was a nice black faux-leather luggage strap. Actually, I still have that too, but it no longer fits around my waist. (I guess, then, I'm saving it for the girls?!)

My favorite top senior year was a black Land's End turtleneck--turned upside down. So that the neck was around my waist and the "bottom" made an across-the-shoulder look that was totally "hot" at the time. I wore it with my black mini-skirt, and black sheer pantyhose, with a chunky black and silver belt around my waist. And I wore it to work there at Robesons for the Working Woman and received lots of compliments and queries about where I got it. ; )

In college I was voted by my floor-mates the woman "Most Likely To Buy Her Wedding Dress at Goodwill." (And it was did turn out something like that--another story for later)

So I used to not only have much more fashion sense, but used to be much more creative and confident in my wardrobe choices. I can tell I still have those urges--but don't trust my instincts anymore.

But now I am tired of being a frump. Well, of feeling like a frump (since they are not at all the same thing, and it is the latter that affects me). So last weekend, I actually went shopping. . .

And then, I saw a hat. . .


to be continued!


Yes, once again, this post is way too long (I do go on!) and I am out of posting time. So come back after the weekend for part 2--with photos!



*notice I did not say "what would look good on me"--I am sure Susan or Mina will come up with examples of things I loved that they thought were hideous. ; )

**I still have the sweater, can you believe it? It was nicely made and was not uber-trendy then, and so has aged well! It's just not easy to nurse in, so has been put away for the past, oh, ten years!.

***sucking in my miniscule tummy. Looking back, what horror, that a 16 year old who was too underweight to give blood at the school blood drive would be conscious of having to suck in her tummy. I never had any eating disorder, or major body issues, thank the Lord, but believe it or not, I never realized I was slimmer than most, and not just "normal" until long after I was married. How can we raise our girls with more confidence in their bodies, just as God created them? Well, no TV should help. ; )
And I guess it is a good thing I don't read those fashion mags anymore.

17 comments:

  1. I wondered if you were going to mention the black turtleneck:) Aren't you glad I let you be so creative in your wardrobe? I can remember when you girls were young, and I felt so out of it stylewise, that I grabbed the sears catalog when it arrived to see what was in style. Now I am of an age when I want to look nice, but comfort is a real priority:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already know the one I hated the most...the black jumper with red turtleneck....

    OK - but remember that cool Benneton shirt with the abstract faces?

    I remember those long johns well...

    You are right to be proud of your eclectic dressing in high school. I do remember wearing those Limited sweaters backwords when I was in middle school too.

    My favorite outfit in 6th grade was a white oxford shirt with teh collar tunred up, jeans with a joke cut and pleats, grey suede booties and a grey belt that wrapped around my waist twice!

    Remember how we woudl wear flats with no socks in the middle of winter through snow and all?

    Hey - I think I have a picture of you in that mauvy sweater. We were at a party and you were pretending to be a spokesmodel showing off a paper towel rack attached to the bottom of the bathroom door. Too bad I can't post it in the comments section... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your descriptions of your clothes! Too long a post? Definitely not!

    I think that when one has very young children, so much else is put on hold. It has to be, really, doesn't it? Mothering littlies takes a lot of energy. I have only two children, but the turning point for me was when they started to be interested in clothes themselves. They are currently 9 and almost 13, and have very different styles, which I enjoy encouraging. And I like their commments about my clothing choices too (sometimes!).

    Combining frugality with fashion can be tricky. I NEVER find anything in charity shops which fits me, so I shop during sales. And I keep my wardrobe quite small so it's not overwhelming to find something to wear on a frazzled morning.

    I was terribly self-conscious in my teens. I really didn't like my body at all. But all those things I hated about it back then are precisely what I love now. I wish it hadn't taken me until my thirties to get to that point, and I hope that I can help my daughters to feel good about their bodies LONG before they hit middle age ;)

    Sometimes going into clothes shops is a little like stepping back to the 80s at the moment. The girls and I were on the hunt for jeans a few weeks ago, and we walked into a shop, to see rails and rails of stuff that I would have worn in the mid 80s. And they were playing A Flock of Seagulls. I felt as though I had been zapped straight back to an earlier age.

    Now, your post may not have been too long, but this comment definitely was ;)

    I look forward to reading Part 2. I want to read about that hat!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I've always loved ecclectic, DIY-type fashion. I had a long, loose red and white striped sweater in the 80s that I wore with long johns! (my dad is 6'6", so they weren't his hahaha.) One of my favorite outfits was a black turtleneck, black leggings (sometimes with stirrups), and a vintage pink silk vest. I wore it with a silver conch belt. I used to love love love to get thrift store clothes and modify them.

    I still adore vintage clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a total lack of fashion sense. Maybe it has to do with money issues, or the fact that when I do find something that I like it is ruined by the children or bleach stains, or me dropping something on myself! Love reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was waiting for this post! When you said yesterday you blogged about fashion I immediately checked...and nothing...but here it be! Yay!

    You *do* sound daring. I'm a total wimp...and in HS? I was a stoner who wore baggy boy shirts and jeans :P

    I'm totally with you on the need to be comfortable as well as fashionable. I try to talk myself out of the more "i like it but it's totally impractical and ridiculous" purchases ;)

    Oh - and you are totally cute! In those pics you posted the other day all I thought was cute, NOT frumpy!

    ps. polyvore.com is a good website to know what's "in" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Atheist Mama, the pics you have shown us here, with your friends, are definitely not frumpy. Girl, I am the frumpy one of the family! Look at the pics from the first family reunion out in LA. You and Allison look totally hip, and I look just like Mom! (Sorry Mom!)

    Sweetie, even with reduced circumstances and totally into comfort, you still rock a tank top. That little red number you are wearing in that pic with Susan? There is no way I could pull that off, and you look awesome. And you looked fabulous at Katie's wedding. As I keep telling my girls, slender women can get away with wearing clothes that on a person with curves just look trampy. I have had to have this discussion several times with my girls because they are both curvy (and I'm afraid S is going to take after Dad's side of the family- you know what I mean?)and E in particular wants to be "in". You, after 4 kids, are still slender (and I am totally envious) and can wear just about anything and look good. Me, I'm afraid if I'm not careful I just look "maternal".

    I agree that after kids being fashionably dressed isn't always practical. But I've always thought that your look has become more elegant and timeless over the years. Remember, I've seen you more than once dressed casual with the family, yet you still don't look as scruffy as I do- even after the flu! That old charcoal gray sweater of yours- simple, comfortable, yet also timeless and flattering. You still have an artists eye, you just haven't been paying as much attention to fashion as you used to. So what? Who cares if your shoes aren't "in" or your hair isn't styled elaborately? You've always dressed more artsy and edgy anyway, and starving artists are not known for their fancy footwear. So, given the place you are at in your life journey, I'd say the time has come to be a little creative with what you have and what you can find.

    As moms, it's easy for us to live vicariously through our children. I always bought my girls cute clothes and rarely bought anything for myself. Then a couple of years ago I realised that a lot of my clothes were at least 10 years old, and didn't fit as well anymore. My children were old enough to be paying attention to what was stylish and what they liked, and I realised that I had more clothing freedom as well. As E gets older, you won't be tied to practical clothes for nursing anymore, and that will give you more options.

    Ok, I'll stop sounding like a bossy big sister! But I felt strongly about letting you know that I've always thought you look great in whatever you wear (like I said, being slender- and tall- helps). :p

    And let me know if you kind something that you really like; bithdays can come early you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking more about your post. I learned early that your tastes were different than mine. I remember a pair of shoes that we talked you into letting us get you rather than the pair you wanted. I think we were trying to be practical and parents do need to be that. But I was always sorry about the shoes. We did enjoy your creativity, but the time you wore Dad's p.j's was a little much. There were several times, when you were youngm, that I wanted to pin a note on you that said "this was not my idea." I have always been amazed with your ability to remember color. I agree with Rebecca about the tall slender being able to carry a lot of things off. If I had tried to wear the stuff you wore, I would have looked like a bag lady. I also agree with her about you having a good eye. Rebecca, it's in the genes -- sorry about that. And I also think S is going to take after Dad's family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom, I think you're right about S. (SIGH) I guess it' a good thing she thinks all boys are gross! And Mom, I don't mind taking after you, it's just that I tend to be too practical sometimes in what I wear, and sometimes my choices age me. Like insisting on comfortable shoes! I actually bought a pair of heeled boots this year, but then I rarely wear them! (Admittedly, I usually only get dressy on Sundays, and I stand through most of mass and also through Sunday school afterwards, so being practical about heels is kind of a necessity) E takes after us, but I keep telling her it can work to her advantage on a soccer field; she has a lower center of gravity and can really take out an opponent with those hips! But finding pants to fit her is a nightmare- sound familiar?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca -- don't forget our problems with finding shoes to fit our feet when you think about the shoes we buy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom, VERY good point. I admit, I have to live vicariously through E when it comes to shoes. She has some really cute shoes that I wouldn't be able to get my toes into! In fact, I'm having a hard time finding a pair of good walking shoes for the Italy trip. Once I find a pair that fit I tend to wear them til they fall apart, which almost describes the pair of walking shoes I have now. S takes after us a bit; we had to get a certain kind of toe shoe for her when she was in ballet! It drives her nuts that her feet are so small- right now she is imbetween kids sizes and adult sizes, and has a hard time finding shoes that aren't too "young".

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an AWESOME feeling, to come back from a weekend out of town (tell you more about THAT when I get the chance! So much to blog, so little time!) and see not only comments, but conversations happening! Thanks for being so chatty, everyone--this is what makes this blog truly fun. : )

    Mom, I was anticipating some of your comments--like wanting to pin a note on me saying I dressed myself. ; ) Funny how I sometimes have the same urges with my own girls, who have so many cute outfits (because of course now I channel all my fashion urges into their wardrobes!) and yet if they choose their own clothes will come out of their room looking like they were dressed by a blind person.

    Rebecca, AGAIN with all the loving words! Hey, I'm not going to tell you to STOP or anything, but I'm starting to wonder if I come off in this blog as way too desperate for words of affirmation. . . ; ) And WAY to ROCK the comments section with your little chat with Mom. That's what its here for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Susan, I had forgotten all about that red T-neck/black SUSPENDER mini-skirt jumper! ha! Oh, yes, I remember the loathing. ; )

    And I think if that abstract faces shirt had not been ruined with spilled dye (grrrrrr to my little sister!) I would still own it. I loved it too.

    Since I did not know you in 6th grade, I can only picture the outfit--but can picture it so well, because of having something similar, except my jeans were pin-striped too! Amy Rappaport and I made plans to wear our pun-striped jeans and light pink polos under white oxfords with the collars turned up and go sit at the "popular" table. (We chickened out.)

    OF COURSE I remember walking to school (THREE MILES. . oh, uh, blocks) in the snow in those flats with no socks. My ankles were permanently chapped.

    If you have the photo--scan and send it and I promise to post it! (well, if it passes the "blackmail meter") ; ) I have some GREAT photos that I will have to scan someday--like of me in my jean jacket and black leggings, which was like my uniform in h.s.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie, I loved your comments--no such thing as TOO LONG on this blog, in case you have not noticed. ; ) I completely agree with you about learning to embrace who we are in our middle years. I think back to how hard I worked to have anything other than thick straight hair--spiral perms, anyone? Then I figured out that women with curly hair wanted hair like mine. Clearly God thought my hair was pretty nifty the way He made it, so why was I trying to make it be something it could never be? So now I just run with it! (Um, which means it lives in a ponytail or clip, as you have seen in the photos of me posted so far!)

    Yes, I wonder when my girls will start to have definite ideas about what they want to wear. . . right now they still like what I pick out for them, for the most part, and I enjoy dressing them. I may have a hard time being as good as my own mom about letting them choose their own style! ; ) (I confess I have this wee thing about coordinating them. . . not as in them matching one another, but as in them not clashing with one another)

    I only have one last thing to say to you:
    I ran. I ran so far away. I just ran. I ran all night and day. Couldn't get away.

    Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juicy, that outfit you describe ROCKS. I can picture the shade of pink in that vest. Oh yeah, baby. And I still love vintage clothes too, which is why I am so drawn to Anthropologie--they have the most awesome vintage feel to so many of their things. (Will say more about this later!)

    Elizabeth, I totally hear you about not caring what clothes the baby is just going to spit up on or what is going to get food spattered on it while I'm making dinner! But then, most of my life is spent doing those things at the moment, so I really would like a couple of outfits that are practical and comfy and not frumpy. . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Atheist Mama, THANKS for the fashion site!!! Now that I see it here, I remember you mentioning it once on your blog and I thought to myself, "I'll have to check that out!" Now I won't lose the link again. ; )

    And thanks for thinking I didn't look like a frump in those pics! It's the illusion created by the fact that last summer my body was more shapely than it will ever be again--when I had lost the weight from baby E but still had the boobs! Even though I am still nursing, things are (ahem) already going downhill. ; ) But no, for me a Tshirt and jeans does not do it for me anymore. . . I want more! style that is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When my mom used to take me shopping she would pick something out for me and I would have the same surly teenager-ish thing to say: "That would look nice-on YOU!"

    ReplyDelete