words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, May 8, 2009

more easy yum!

Yesterday I made one of my favorite dishes, which is very loosely inspired by Carribean cooking:

--fresh yams/sweet potato (about one per person), cooked and peeled and roughly cut into bite-sized pieces. (I microwave mine and then peel when cool enough to handle)
--topped with cooked black beans (I use canned beans, rinsed and drained)
--topped with shredded sharp or medium cheddar cheese
--sprinkled with ground cumin and black pepper

Warm it up in the microwave or oven, then before serving, sprinkle with plenty of snipped green onion and, if you like, a twist of fresh lime.

As you can tell, the recipes I invent are very, very easy. Toss em' together kinds of meals that dirty as few dishes as possible! ; )

I gussied up this recipe a little for an international banquet last year and made a batch to serve 50 people and called it "Carribean sweet potato and black beans," and the poor young Carribean man who was one of the speakers got tired of telling people he did not make it and did not know how to make it, because so many people were complimenting him and asking for the recipe, that he finally made an announcement from the podium that I was the one responsible!

But I think the simple version I gave above is better than the one I served at the banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment