words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, June 14, 2013

Thoughts for Today, courtesy of Facebook


It's Thursday morning, but I'm already thinking ahead to tomorrow, Friday, because my in-laws are coming down to visit again. 

It's the weekend that Sunny officially receives her black belt in Ho Kuk Mu Sul, the Korean martial arts we practice.  The school (along with its two sister schools in the area) has big Promotion Ceremonies twice a year to give special recognition to the achievements of the higher belts, and so we invited DH's parents to come and see it this time.  After all, MIL has wanted the girls to get their black belts for years now--she hopes a black belt means you can never be attacked by a strange man, which is not true esp. when the black belts are kids, but it is probably helpful.  Most people think a black belt in martial arts means you have reached some big pinnacle of knowledge in the art form and in self-defense--I did too, before we started.  Once you have been doing it for a while you realize that it's more like the process of learning to read.  Everything you learn up through your black belt is like learning your alphabet, and once you reach your black belt it's like being ready finally to start reading. It is really the starting point.  I don't know how long we will do martial arts, or how high the girls will go, but I do know martial arts has been good for Sunny's strength, balance, overall fitness, and she seems to enjoy it.  So it will be fun to celebrate her success, and invite DH's folks to join us in the celebration.

But of course, as you all know, things aren't exactly easy or pleasant with my MIL at the moment.  I'm already feeling that little bit of stress start to rise. . . so I really need to focus on positive things, and ask God to show me what He wants me to be thinking about, and what Truth he wants in my heart and mind.

So it was funny that this morning (yesterday morning, as I'll post this on Friday) when I checked facebook, there were all kinds of interesting and relevant images for my thoughts (and fears) at the moment.  I'm not saying I agree with all of these, but they are good for me to consider today:


from Joel Osteen ministries on fb







attributed to Proverbs 31 Ministries on fb



attributed to Hippy Peace Freaks on fb



Attributed to Inspirational Quotes to Live and Learn on fb


Then too, my morning blog-reading turned up an appropriate piece of Scripture to add to the collection. Eliz shared how she is heart-weary, and suffering from some long-term emotional/verbal abuse, which made this Psalm today feel very personal:

Life is Short
39 I said, “I will be careful how I act
    and will not sin by what I say.
I will be careful what I say
    around wicked people.”
So I kept very quiet.
    I didn’t even say anything good,
    but I became even more upset.
I became very angry inside,
    and as I thought about it, my anger burned.
    So I spoke:
Lord, tell me when the end will come
    and how long I will live.
    Let me know how long I have.
You have given me only a short life;
    my lifetime is like nothing to you.
    Everyone’s life is only a breath. Selah
People are like shadows moving about.
    All their work is for nothing;
    they collect things but don’t know who will get them.
“So, Lord, what hope do I have?
    You are my hope.
Save me from all my sins.
    Don’t let wicked fools make fun of me.
I am quiet; I do not open my mouth,
    because you are the one who has done this.
10 Quit punishing me;
    your beating is about to kill me.
11 You correct and punish people for their sins;
    like a moth, you destroy what they love.
    Everyone’s life is only a breath. Selah
12 Lord, hear my prayer,
    and listen to my cry.
    Do not ignore my tears.
I am like a visitor with you.
    Like my ancestors, I’m only here a short time.
13 Leave me alone so I can be happy
    before I leave and am no more.” (NCV)

And she added:
I thought I'd share in case you too need comfort from this kind of trial.
(((HUGS)))

She was speaking to whomever  happened to stop by, of course.  But I found the timing of my stopping by just too. . . timely.

Thoughts, anyone?  Or your own pithy positive thoughts?  Or more Scripture?  I'll take 'em all!


2 comments:

  1. Just know that we are praying for you and your family. Tell Sunny we love her and are proud of her. Wish we could be there for the ceremony, too. Daddy will be home this afternoon. Then we will go buy a mattress for the guest room. But, we will use it until the floors are done in there. I woudl also love to paint the sewing room before the hardwood floors are done. Then I think I will ask Daddy too help me finish in the master bath and closet before we move on to other areas:) Always remember that we love you and that most importantly God love you. You are a lovely warm and loving young woman, and we wouldn't want you any different than you are.

    ReplyDelete