words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, December 4, 2010

Let Freecycle Play Santa!

Oh, my dear friends, family and readers, I am feeling lots of joy and goodwill towards humankind this morning.  I have written before about freecycle, so you all know how awesome it is for blessing others with your unwanted stuff.  But this weekend we are experiencing the other side, that is really special at this time of year--receiving gifts of generosity from complete strangers.

Last year I saw how our local freecycle group was suggesting people could post "Dear Santa" lists--which is pretty much no different than the usual way of asking, except that the "Santa" element suggests an added element of holiday spirit, and I think people might consider responding to those lists with an extra generous spirit.  We have to be careful with our finances this year, as most people do these days, and as always most of what we will be giving the children is something they need--on the list this year, for example, are a new bike helmet, a child's leather belt, new shoes, a raincoat for the biggest girl, etc.  But we also try to get a few fun, good things that we think will be enjoyed.  For example, for over a year Happy has been wanting to learn to play the ukelele.  So cute!  But when I looked online earlier this year for a "real" one, and not just a toy, I was discouraged because the ukeleles I found either looked like junk, or were hundreds of dollars! 

But when I saw the announcement the other day from our local freecycle group about the "Dear Santa" lists, I thought I would try.  So I made a simple post:

Dear Santa,


We would like a nice ukelele to give to our daughter for Christmas. One that is meant to be played as an instrument, not a toy.


Thank you!

A few hours later, I saw I had received in my inbox this response, from a lady named Diana:

I have a uke you may have.  I bought it about 12 years ago for $75 & I never learned to play it.  So it would be wonderful if it could bless someone instead of hanging on my wall.  It would be great to know that someone was playing it m& having fun with it.  It is a Hilo model 2651 & it has the serial # inside as well.

I am going to meet her this afternoon to pick it up.  How cool is that?!

And then last night, after DH and I finalized the gift list, I made this post:

Dear Santa,


We got some tracks, but need some trains! We are looking for the trains that fit the Thomas/Brio sized wooden tracks. We prefer wooden or die-cast metal, but plastic would be fine too if they are in good shape. Santa, maybe you know of a child who has outgrown his? We would give them a great home!

And this morning I found this response in my in-box, from a lady named Mary:
 
I have a bag of these I picked up at a yard sale.  Some pieces seem to be metal, some plastic and some wood.  There are also some wooden track pieces.  My plan was to buy more tracks and gift them to my great nephew, but I looked at tracks at a toy store and they're expensive!!  So, this bag of goodies is all yours if you want it. 
 
I'll be picking these up today as well. 

Some people don't think giving used gifts is appropriate; I think it depends upon who you are giving to.  My kids get used things all the time as gifts, and they are growing up seeing the value of the thing, not whether or not they are the first ones to take it out of its package.  Now, if the toys are really banged up, I might not choose to wrap them all up under the tree--we would just wrap up a few pieces in good condition or put them in the kids' stockings.  The rest we would bring out later.  Whatever we will give the kids will be clean and nice looking, no matter where it comes from. : )

Used goods save money and don't add to our carbon footprint--frugal and green, two of my goals for more healthy living. Of course anyone asking for free things has to use her judgement, as some things would not be good to ask for--old baby toys that might have phalates or lead, for example. But as my day attests, freecycle can not only be a great way to get some very cool gifts, but can also generate all kinds of Christmas cheer in your community!  And I am ALL about spreading the love. : )

UPDATE:
Picked up the things. Ukelele is beautiful wood, looks new.  Trains are mainly plastic, but they are "Thomas" pieces so they are cute and look brand new!  So happy with these FREE things.  Now I just need to offer something on freecycle in the same spirit, and keep the love going!

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! Last year was a used year for us - Monkey wanted Legos and Sparkle wanted Build A Bear. Ebay was able to give us a lot more product for the same cost as one new thing and it was fabulous.

    I'll have to check Freecycle and see what's going on in my area!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete