words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Random snippets: b

b is for bleeding. again. and again.

After having my third period in 23 days, I'm pretty much over that whole romanticized celebrating my womanhood thing.

And speaking of which, after I made that post I alternated between being completely mortified that I had blogged about my menstruation (in public!  to strangers!  and to people who know me IRL--don't know which is worse!) and being emboldened by the cathardic nature of writing and "being real."  I figured those who have distain for such TMI would stop reading after they were warned off in in the first paragraph, and those who read the whole thing could not possibly blame me for their own stubborn perseverance.  I did wonder--not for the first time since blogging--if I had crossed some kind of "nice blogger" line.  But then I had two people make a point of telling me how much they appreciated/enjoyed that piece.  One friend even said it was one of my best.  Awwww, thanks, friends!  Um, next time would be mind saying that in the comments, so everyone does not think I'm blogging to the sound of crickets chirping uncomfortably? ; )

Just so that no one is worried, it is time for my annual this next month anyway, so I'll be meeting with the ob/gyn to talk about solutions.

In the meantime, I am finding each time is a little different, with different, often dramatic results.  Like the huge temper tantrum I threw last time (i.e. 2 weekends ago) in which I actually kicked the laundry hamper and slammed the front door on my way out.  Ever weirder was the fact that a little voice in my head the whole time was saying things like, "Huh. Did I really just do that?!" and "Hey, this feels good."

It all started because DH and I had a disagreement about how much fat in milk was appropriate for children. Which just goes to prove that the ensuing argument and temper tantrum had nothing whatsoever to do with milk.  I won't bore you with all the things it really was about, but this might be a good time to recommend a really good book I read this past summer when I went back home for a week:  "For Women Only: What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men" by Shaunti Feldham.  One of those books that I did not think would be very interesting or helpful in marital insight and which actually was amazingly true and so liberating and encouraging.  Reading it, I saw how I was inadvertently getting the exact opposite of what I wanted from my husband/marriage because of some of the things I was doing that were sending messages to my husband that I did not mean.  Some people don't think their marriages are like "average" marriages and so such a book would not be true for them; I dunno, it sure connected a lot of dots for me, and I used to think DH and I were "special."  I would highly recommend it to any wife who is frustrated and feels like she does not "get" her husband and he does not "get" her.

The author co-wrote a second book with her husband, "For Men Only."  I'm not finding that one to be as eye-opening--more like, "well, duh."  But maybe that is the point--our internal lives seem so logical, so easily understandable, to us women.  If DH gets around to reading that one, it will be interesting to talk about it and see if any of the ideas were relevatory for him.

9 comments:

  1. I am so very glad you have a dr's appt. I thought that book was interesting, too. Probably should read it again. I probably will end up calling you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 in 23 days?!?! Seriously?? I can't even imagine.

    And, since this isn't my blog and nobody will track it back to me, I'll go ahead and admit that I'm not sure I even had a period this summer. June, maybe? But it might have been May. Together, we can be completely average :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I loved your post about womanhood-one of your best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, you are making me just a little jealous. Ok, a lot. Stop it.

    On the other hand, when I first got married I was on a birth control pill that was so strong I did not have periods, which I thought was great at the time, but now that much artificial stuff overwhelming my body makes me uncomfortable. . . I'd rather have the periods and not be worried. It will be interesting to see what the OB/GYN says, esp. since it sure feels like my right ovary is the little overachiever (and sure feels like it ovulated AGAIN yesterday!!!)

    Sara, your words were really encouraging to me--thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 in 23 days- I am sooo sorry. Never hurts to get a dr's opinion on stuff like that. You've gotten me curious about this book, although hubby will not be amused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I meant to tell you that I DID enjoy your womanhood post. And thought, I am never this reflective about this topic myself- way too crabby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Rebecca, I highly recommend the book! I can even send you the copy I have, which is mom and dad's, when we're done with them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reason "For Men Only" doesn't make sense to you is that it is
    ABOUT YOU. I read both books, and several others I would highly recommend. I wish DH would break down and read it - I keep asking about it. It might help him understand some things that I missed for years. I decided it was time to quit 'lurking' and enter the fray.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, Dad! Welcome to the conversation! And I am sure DH will read the books someday. . . since he really does intend to, someday. ; ) Thank you for giving them to me to read, Dad!

    ReplyDelete