words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, October 9, 2010

the little things make me happy

I came across this a while back--its not the greatest quality, but that is part of its charm. It is an impromptu video taken on the streets of Copenhagen back in 1988.



It seems Bruce Springsteen was walking around the city a few hours before he was to perform a concert. He somehow got to talking with this street artist named Jón Magnússon, who goes by JoJo, and they ended up playing together for a small crowd that gathered.

Here is what makes me smile:
--a big name artist enjoying walking around the city by himself
--and playing for people, for free, just for the pure fun of it.
--But best of all is JoJo, who is so giddy from delight he is about to bust out of his own skin.
--And he is so excited he is clearly not singing his best,  but he does it anyway, with gusto
--and lots of dancing.
--And The Boss does not seem to notice the imperfections, treating JoJo as his equal throughout the song, and truly sharing the moment with him. 

I love it when we get glimpses of the best, and the most vulnerable, and humble, and gracious, and generous sides of people.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that things like that make something even more enjoyable. I don't know if you remember the record that we have of Les Paul and Chet Atkins. It was actually a jam session to prepare for a recording, and it turned out to well that it was made into the actual record. On it you can hear them talking and laughing as they play. It has always been one of my favorite records. Although I have to admit that I have several favorite records:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that album, mom, but did not know the story behind it. That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to hear that album! My friends had a similar thing happen to them when they were busking in Chicago-they met the Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova from the swell season, and they gave them tickets to their show that night!
    The clincher to the fabulous evening is that they said they had better seats than......Barak Obama, who was also there that night! (pre-president) Makes me wish I played an instrument....

    ReplyDelete