words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, October 8, 2010

Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup

So, after being on another groccery boycott (I think this one lasted about a month, with the help of the in-laws bringing some of their garden bounty to share with us, and with Costco for milk and bread runs), I have been getting creative in the kitchen again.  It's fun!  And sometimes, cooking with limited ingredients ends up inspiring a new dish that is really yummy, like this one I did the other night, when I was out of garlic and onion and all fresh veggies except some last spicy peppers:

Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup

In large pot, saute in olive oil 1 med-large pepper, diced (not sure what kind, medium green color, long and thin, mildly spicy).

Add:
1 can Trader Joe's chicken
1-2 cans diced tomatoes
2-3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
what seems to be the appropriate amount of water
a healthy dose of ground cumin

Bring to boil, then add:
frozen corn (Trader Joe's roasted version is PERFECT)
whole wheat spaghetti, broken into approx. 1 inch pieces*

Stir occasionally to keep spaghetti from clumping.  When spaghetti is done, turn off heat and add a liberal helping of dried oregano.

When ready, add lots of black pepper.  Serve in bowls and add fresh chopped avocado on top. 

-------------------------------
When I stood in front of the fridge that night looking at what I had and thinking of my options, I was unsure how I would get a lot of flavor in whatever I cooked without garlic or onion.  That is why I finally opted for Mexicanish food--the sauted pepper and the roasted corn added the pungent flavor base I needed.  And the fresh avocado was the crowning touch! 

But this idea is so versatile, so you can run with pretty much whatever you have on hand!  Without the fresh pepper, I could have used canned green chilis, or jarred salsa.  If I did not have noodles, I could have used rice.  If I did not have avocado, I could have used tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes, and then added fresh diced tomato on top.  Or sour cream. 
 
The two keys to the soup's success: having the pungent flavor, and not adding too much water.  The crowning touch was the contrast between the black pepper and cool fresh avocado.

I did not add salt, since all the canned goods had salt in them. If you were cooking entirely from scratch, you would need salt.


*Easy breaking spaghetti method: hold a small bunch of the spaghetti in your left hand, over the pot to catch little bits that may drop. With your left hand, push the spaghetti into your right hand as far as the first knuckle on your thumb, then with that thumb break off the spaghetti at that length, and just let go with your right hand to drop it into the pot under you.  Then repeat. Very fast and easy this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment