words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, November 19, 2012

More boot advice requested!

Ok,  I am serious.  I want to choose and be done. 

I so appreciated the comments Susan and Jessica left to my last boot post--really helped me think through that round.  I realized, thanks to Susan, that I likely don't want to have my jeans flapping around my ankles when it is raining, so I might naturally chose clothes on rainy days that are perfectly compatible with tall boots.  Looking back, I think this is true, so am running with this idea, to help me eliminate one factor in the decision making. 

I am trying two boots.  I want to keep one of these.  You help me decide!

First is one of the boots I tried before, but making sure I have the right size:

Merrell Captiva Strap

They are basic, go well with my clothes, are nicely made, and are flattering.  Maybe a wee bit on the boring side, but still attractive.  They can dress up or down. They do not call attention to themselves.  They are steampunk compatible, on the more classical end of the spectrum, which is where I fall.  In the size that fit I would not be wearing my thickest socks.  These are quite logical boots to get.


Second is a boot Minnie Zephie blogged about here, which kinda grew on me:



These are so different.  They are unusual, and edgy, and call attention to themselves.  They are fun to have on. I can actually tuck my jeans into these, but it looks funny, so would likely just wear them with leggings.  They are not as flattering to the leg as the Merrells, but that is somewhat mitigated by wearing leggings with them.  They looked fine with my clothes.  They were really comfortable--felt like wearing galoshes.  They fit my thickest socks. They feel like me on the inside, but I am not sure they match the me on the outside.    They might be too youthful for me.  They would not look right for dressing up (I could wear them to church, but only with certain outfits).  I got to show them to Becky, and she liked them, but wondered if they were too clearly foul-weather boots and not something you would want to wear around town on fine weather days.  They are steampunk compatible, but definitely on the "punk" end of the spectrum.

So, this is why I need your help!  Please leave a comment with your opinion.  I value them all, the honest but gentle ones the most. : )

9 comments:

  1. So - this is hard! I do want to say I have a completely different response to boot #2, rather than youthful or punk I see them as quirky and perhaps a tad frumpy due solely to the fact the that toes is very LL Bean.

    Which one is more "Lisa"? I can see you wearing both, I could see me wearing #1 (though I like more heel). I would never in a million years wear #2 - which says something to me about that boot being more "Lisa". I think you would have fun wearing boot #2. You do not like the ordinary and boring and you do not like BEING ordinary or boring. So - I say #2. However, if this is still partly a gift from MIL do you need to take into account if she will hate them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance, boot #2 looked like someone had strapped something onto duck shoes...they definitely look more rain boot than fashion to me. I liked the versatility of boot #1 - could see you wearing it in multiple settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. Yes, I would have more fun wearing #2. And they are so comfortable. And if I don't end up receiving the box in the mail of the correct size of #1 I might end up keeping #2 just because it is here and because I need boots for our trip to the in-laws for Thanksgiving!

    But since both of you are commenting on the duck boot bottom--now, I think you both remember my, um, "style" leanings in hs and college, and I was never preppy. In fact, I pretty much ran the other way from preppy, and somehow like these boots *despite* the duck boot factor. But since you are both not finding #2 very fashion forward. . . I'm possibly losing my nerve.

    THIS IS GOOD. I wanted to hear other perspectives, to help me decide. Thank you for doing your duty, ladies. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANYONE ELSE--please still comment! I have hopefully until tomorrow night to decide! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can only buy one boot, I would go with #1. It is attractive and versatile, and I don't think it is boring. #2 would be great for wearing on errands on very wet and stormy days, but we don't have many of those. Given the mildness of our climate and the lack of rain in recent years, you probably only need one pair of boots, and versatility is important. You could buy a fun and funky pair of shoes to wear when the weather isn't wet. That might satisfy the longing for more pizzazz in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 is my choice, but probably because it's more my own personal style. They seem very versatile.

    #2 is really different. I'm trying to imagine them with an outfit and can't. I'm sure you could pull them off, because you're more stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, you are so practical--you read my inner desires so succinctly "longing for more pizzazz." ; ) Yes, I need to keep remembering these are supposed to be winter/rain boots. That's it. If they look great and I pull them on other times, great. But since I have not bought shoes for years, it is also ok if I get another pair later on, if I will actually wear them enough to justify them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, actually, I'm not sure I can pull them off! It's borderline--so that's why I wanted feedback. It is interesting because I am asking opinions of people from all over the country, and different ages too, so that will get me different responses. I have a feeling if I asked the hip young women at church, they would all say they were cool. or whatever word for cool the young people say these days. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry this is a late comment! I think #1 is more versatile, so I would lean that way. I think #2 look like fun, although maybe not something I would wear, but part of what you are looking for is something for church and these don't work that way.

    ReplyDelete