words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, April 2, 2012

Sunday fashion show--new earrings

This time the photos are not of my beautiful girls. . .

No, this time it's me, in my full 40-year-old glory.  Recently Jessica, one of my favorite blog villagers, made a sweet girlfriend request for photos of me in some of the clothing and accessories I sometimes blog about.  I thought that could be fun, and would give more of a face to my blog persona, for those of you readers who do not know me IRL. 

Specifically, I thought you might enjoy seeing me in the two new pairs of earrings I finally did go get from Trade As One to tide me over until I (hopefully) find my missing travel jewelry pouch.  So, here are some photos taken by my Dear Husband, who is a good sport.  And who loves me much more than the camera does. 


Here is pair #1.  I have (had?) the same earrings in subtly shiny dark grey beads--one of my favorite pairs (which, now that I remember, you can see in the photo three posts ago in which I am modeling my fun feather fascinator).  I sure hope I find the grey ones, which go with almost anything, but these are also lovely, and look good with lots of my clothes.  And I really like them with my new hat! 

Yes, those of you who have been reading this blog for a while might remember how I once wrote about wanting a hat.  A cute hat, a practical hat, a hat I could stick on when I hadn't taken a shower that day was having a bad hair day to immediately feel cuter when going out in public.  A hat that was versatile and comfortable.  I considered lots of different kinds of hats, but never was completely happy with any--either they were a little too limiting in what they would match, or they were too wintery, or they would be hard to keep clean, etc.  With only a small clothing allowance and an even smaller amount of clothing storage, I do my best to make every purchase be a wise one!  So, I have gone all this time, looking. . . and weekend before last finally found one!  It is not nearly as pretty or clever or unique as the hat that first inspired me--but it is so practical, so wearable, is my favorite color, matches everything in my wardrobe, can be worn year-round, and makes me feel cute!

Actually, it also makes me look vaguely like my dear Becky when I am wearing it. (Case in point--when I first bought it and put it on to show the kids, and asked, "Who do I look like?" They all said I looked like her. : )  But she is a beautiful woman, so that's all good.  I just hope she does not mind me stealing her look. ; )




Here is pair #2, which I blogged about two posts ago.  Both earrings I had liked for a long time, and both were inexpensive, and both support fair trade, so everything about them gives me pleasure.  I think these silver ones are a little dressy, so will likely wear them when I am dressing up a little (like for church or meetings).  But that's the point, really--throw on shiny earrings with the same old tops and jeans, and instantly feel a little dressier! ; )

And you can see in this photo one of my favorite, favorite shirts!  I really enjoy my Three Dot three-quarter sleeve shirts--they are excellent quality, 100% cotton, and made in the USA!  They are easy to care for and are holding up well to constant wearing. You can find good deals on them online, but I bought this one full-price at a local shop, and have not regretted it one bit.  I just regret that the manufacturer discontinued this particular neck style, since it is FABULOUS--but will be thankful that I found it in navy and black before they were all gone for good!

I have a really hard time finding jeans that fit me. I'm hippy, but yet still fairly slim overall, and fairly tall.  This was my first time trying GAP jeans, and they are very comfortable, but I have to cinch them up a lot at the waist to keep them from giving me a baggy butt.  I normally only buy jeans at ROSS or Goodwill (local friends, the last time I was there, the one downtown had the best selection of jeans I have ever seen, and they're like $8!), but would be willing to try out a store label if any of you have recommendations.  Just keep in mind I ain't spending no hundred bucks on some fancy-schmancy "supposed to make any woman look like a goddess" jeans.  About $40 is my limit, and even then I'll look for a great deal online. ; )



2 comments:

  1. Looking good hon! I like your hat and earrings! Wish I was tall and slim:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful! I just love your sense of style. I need to get some hats like that!

    Thanks for sharing the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete