words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, July 11, 2011

Better Mommy Blogs: #1 giving children a voice

I have mentioned before that one of the reasons I read all those blogs on my sidebar of families who have adopted kids "from the hard places" is because God has used them to open my eyes to the reality of hurting kids, moms, families who are everywhere in our world, and yet unseen.  Thank you, Lord--I am ashamed I gladly lingered in my cozy world of ignorance for so long, not really wanting to know about the huge troubles outside my little home, content to hyper-focus on my own minute dramas.  Which, by the way, just made me more miserable with my husband and kids--God taking my awareness beyond my own little realm helped me see my life in Perspective and made me appreciate everything and everyone in my life so much more, and also helped me take the eyes of my spirit off myself and put them back on God and what He thinks is important and what He is doing in the world.  My own frustrations and complaints are really nothing in light of the Bigger Picture.

But another reason I read those blogs is also one I have mentioned before--they help me be a better Mommy. They give me tools for being a better mommy and encouragement to keep striving to use those tools ever better in my daily life.  They tell me to not get discouraged, to trust God for whatever perfecting my kids need (and what refinement I need!).  They remind me to keep my expectations for my kids reasonable, to love them where they are.  They remind me of the outpouring of Grace given to me daily by God, which makes it possible for me to be gracious with my family.

I would not be the same woman/wife/mommy without those blogs.  So of course I have to share with you all some of my favorite ideas and stories!

So, first today one from A Bushel and A Peck, in which Lisa shares an experience she and her husband had with one of their daughters, in which they put into practice some of the "investment parenting" skills they have learned through recent parenting training, specifically the idea of giving their child a voice:

We have taken to heart the importance of giving our children “voice.” It is inconvenient and flies in the face of the “first time obedience” parenting we used to strive for — but I believe it is pleasing to God. Jesus loves me in my weakness, my anger, my rebellion, and He lets me pour it out in prayer to Him. He gives me voice and I am so very thankful.

Isn't it strange that so many of our normal parenting ideas or "default settings" do not match up with how God treats us?  Or reflect how we ourselves want to be treated?  I regret that I parented for so long without taking a step back and seeing some of my parenting choices from those frameworks--and yet, like all parents I have just been doing my best with what I have available at that moment.  So I am not beating myself up for mommying decisions that I now wish I had done differently, but I am so thankful for the things I am learning even now.  It is never to late to be a wiser, gentler mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment