words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, January 20, 2014

pseudo-Steampunk silliness

As I find newfound energy and interest in writing here, I am also picking up writing on my other blogs too.  So sometimes when I am quiet over her it is because I am using my blogging time somewhere else. (Sometimes in the comments on one of your blogs!) 

Just this past week I had a spurt of creative thinking about clothes again, which got me looking around on the web for ideas and possibilities--my favorite kind of shopping, since there's more pleasure to be had in the looking than in the buying. ; )  As I've been evaluating my wardrobe this Fall and Winter, I'm trying to figure out what clothes need to go, and what clothes just need a little help to be fully used and appreciated. I have a lot of hand-me-downs, and odds and ends, and limited closet space, and am in major purge mode--so whenever I have free moments and enough brain function, I've been thinking through my wardrobe. 

And yes, when I do need to buy something for my wardrobe, I still get a kick out of trying to see if I can find it the least bit neo-Victorian.  I still have my "secret" fantasies about a "Real World Steampunk Wardrobe," and if nothing else, it makes me smile inside when I am wearing something on the outside that reflects the me on the inside.

So, over the past 6 months or so, I've been trying various wardrobe pieces together, and having my Dear Husband take photos (usually after church).  Then I download them to the computer to see how I *really* looked--and am usually disappointed, and often not a little embarrassed.  Oh well.  The times when I get an outfit that makes me happy make up for the times I look at the photos and am hoping it looked better while I was in motion.  As in the old saying, "they'll never notice from the back of a galloping horse," right?

But I've just started sharing some of my "Real World Steampunk Wardrobe FAILS" over on Minnie Zephie's Steampunk Treasure Trunk.  Of course I don't expect you to follow over there--that's my little fun escape world, so completely different from the kinds of real-world things I share here. But I thought you all might enjoy the first posting in the series--Steampunk, 70's style! 

(Or is it more 80's? I could not quite put my finger on what designer and time I was channeling--all I know for sure is that it was not. at. all. Steampunk. ; )

Here's the link, if you are in the mood for light-hearted fashion talk!

2 comments:

  1. It ate my comment! Anyway I kind of liked the linen dress - seemed kid of 50's retro if not steampunk and was a flattering style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. You are right--maybe I could go for a 50's retro thing instead, which is another look I like. I'll think about that--thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete