words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, January 4, 2010

so far so good!

Well, so far 2010 is looking to be a good year. I shared the other day about my general hopes and prayers for this upcoming year, but thought you might like to hear some specifics. So I will share a few here, and more later on, after I see what I think is going to "stick." Normally I do not "do" New Year Resolutions, as they usually feel rushed and forced and not very meant. As if we make them because we feel we should, but never really expect to make any more than half-hearted effort to make them happen. Half-hearted is truly the right word--halfway to nevermind before I have even begun.

This year, I am all about new plans. And making them happen. And being whole-hearted in all I do.

And the areas in which I anticipate new growth are so varied--a few I can mention now and will certainly be writing more about later:

--not living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) anymore!

--cooking with more raw foods (specifically daily smoothies and a once-a-week raw dinner challenge!)

--baking my own bread and making yoghurt

--trying new "green" and frugal products and lifestyle changes

--trying to cut out some of our plastic intake/outtake

--flossing my teeth nightly (got my first cavity since college just at the end of last year. : ( I thought flossing was just for gum health--didn't know it prevented cavities too!)

--attending the early service at Vintage Faith once a month, so that our girls can experience the"adult" gathering while not missing out on their Sunday School classes. I so value the girls growing up connected with the whole church body and that worship experience.

--starting a price book, so I can know where to buy what for the best local deals (and doing it with the girls as a homeschool project)

--visiting the same local beach every Friday morning at the same time, to experience the changes in the ocean and weather over the course of a year.

--making home schooling more structured, so we get our goals met, but have plenty of time for fun and play

--parenting with more patience and gentleness and grace

And so far, things are coming along! Teeth flossed, kitchen/house not out of control, bread machine used, homeschooling starting up for the first time this year smoothly and positively overall. Best of all, I am not feeling overwhelmed or discouraged by considering these changes--they have been slowly creeping into my consciousness for awhile, some I have been weighing and exploring for 6 months, so they are not spur-of-the-moment Resolutions, but serious, thoughtful determinations for this year. They encourage me, and excite me. Ok, so they daunt me a little too, but that is a good thing too--I have been too comfortably entrenched in certain habits that have been easy but not ideal. I need to stretch, explore, live a little more fully.

So it was just perfect to start out the first day of 2010 by jumping into one of my goals: the beach, every Friday for one year.

This is our local beach. So glad my friend Alberta called to let us know about the extreme low tide, which was at its lowest ebb at 4:30 pm, right around sun-down.

The angle of the fast-fading light gave everything in the surf a gold-flecked glow.

Including girl toes and starfish!




Family. Nature. Beauty. An excellent beginning. . .

4 comments:

  1. that's funny-the resolution about the beach is one I'm starting, too! More because I feel guilty living so close to the beach, and never going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals seem good. Love the pics -- especially the last one. Our goal is to loose weight, therefore we are starting the South Beach diet today. I was able to loose 40 lbs the last time we went on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! And I love the resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, please come join us anytime! : )

    Mom, I look forward to hearing how that goes this time around. : )

    Shera, thanks, and I can't WAIT to hear about your "expectations" for this upcoming year whenever you decide to update your blog! ; )

    ReplyDelete