words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, July 22, 2014

vintage afghans

Quilts are not the only thing I have been sighing and mooning over this past week. I also started looking at afghans, which run a close second in my heart to quilts.  The only problem is, most afghans are, let's face it, very cozy looking but very ugly.

Some of them are truly beautiful, though. Especially black bordered and colorful granny squares. The smaller the better. I can't get enough of them.


found here


found here

Of all of the granny square afghans I saw on eBay, this third one is my favorite--the slightly more pastel colors against the black is just gorgeous:


found here

Ugh, I find myself starting to covet.  Which is actually why I am sharing these things with you!  Partly for the fun of it, and partly because when there is something I really, really like but can't justify owning, putting it here on my blog is almost as good as actually owning it. Maybe better, because now I can appreciate it while not actually having it in my house.

(I just caught myself gazing at the above image and sighing wistfully. No joke--beautiful, hand-crafted, nostalgic things tug at my very soul. : )

But just like the quilts, there are as many variations on pattern and color and style as there are women with crochet hooks.  Even if I would not choose it for my house, I can admire the artistry.


found here

found here


snatched up by someone else as I was writing this, so no link

Although maybe I would like to own that last one. So deliciously retro, and I'm seriously a sucker for itty-bitty squares.

The next two are listed as being made by an elderly serviceperson.  I imagine this person is allowing some of his/her creations to be sold by a family member for a little side income.  Maybe from a nursing home. I've never seen this pattern before, and in this first color combination it really works:


found here

And this next color combination is just so grandma it makes me smile and wish I could give my own grandmas a hug (don't you think Grandma Betha would have like it, Mom?):


 
 
And speaking of making me smile:
 
I'm not linking it, because none of you would possibly buy an afghan this ugly. Right?
 
Mom, if it were not missing the red chevron stripe I would think this is the old afghan from the basement!  No offense, Mom, if you were the one who made it. Clearly it was a very popular color combination in the day.  And whatever critique I might be casting upon it for its color scheme is completely overshadowed by the fact that it was a perpetual favorite of all us kids in our childhood. It was well loved, for a long time--and that's the whole point of a good afghan.
 
This next afghan does not look all that old, and I would guess was made within the last 10 years or so, when blue and brown were so popular together. But the effect is very pretty, very appealing:
 

 
 
 
 
found here
 
Oh, how pretty that one is!  Like a flower garden.  What a sweet vision the maker of that afghan had.
 
The final one I want to share just about breaks my heart it is so pretty:
 
found here
 
I know: you're thinking, well, it's pretty, but no prettier than any of the others. . . ? 
 
First of all, if you had seen several thousand afghans on eBay in the past two days, you would be thrilled at its beauty. ; )
 
 
Then look at those gorgeously made roses, which add dimension and depth and texture to the afghan surface.
 

Then notice the careful use of color: most afghans of this style repeat the exact same color in every square, which ends up being dull and monotonous.  This crafter alternated two different shades of rose, which also adds depth and beauty to the overall piece.  The eye does not get tired looking at it.
 
 

Not only did the crafter use more than one color of pink, but she arranged the roses in patterns of 4. This creates a sense of balance and order, and even hints at a quilt-like design.



Then even the edge is finished in a pretty little border--also reminiscent of a quilt binding.  And look at the careful crochet-work apparent in this photo's lighting.  So well done. So beautiful.



Ugh, it is so pretty and perfect is almost gives me a stomach ache. 

And it's $45, plus a hefty shipping cost, all the way from Massachusetts.

Which is kinda a lot for an old blanket.  But on the other hand, isn't.

I could buy this. Right now.

But I'm not sure I should. . . I was looking for some "new" bedding for the kids, but not sure this exactly fits the bill, being larger than I need for one girl.  And I don't need it on my bed. In fact, it would not match our bedding. (Which you realize is important to me, since our bed is also our "sofa.")  I also don't need it immediately, just when we get the bed project done and the kids are not sharing blankets anymore. If I did buy it, it would definitely be loved and used. But I'm not sure it's the best practical choice. That and whatever girl--probably either Sunny or Happy--received it would be the envy of her sisters.  Maybe even her brother. ; ) Which might compel me to look for more gorgeous afghans on eBay for the others. . .

So that's why I stole all the photos from the person's listing. So I could have a way of holding onto it even if it's not meant to be mine. : )  Another person could snatch it up. Or I might be tempted for a while and ultimately choose not to give in.  But in the meantime, sharing its beauty with you all makes me happy, and lessens the temptation to buy it rashly.

Now that I've been going on about things that make me happy inside, please tell me something that makes you happy!  I would love to share your little bits of happiness.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't make any of the Afgans that we had. Blanche did. You probably remember her. She was the 2nd wife of my Grandpa H. The colors matched the sofa that we had in our 1st house and used for a while in our house on Union St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Grandma Blanche made it--that makes perfect sense! You're not talking the green plaid couch, are you? I loved that couch. And I can still remember all the afghans we had at home, esp. since I used to wrap one around myself every Tues night when I sat on that director's chair in the dining room in front of the TV with my mug of Sleepytime tea watching The Underwater World of Jacques Cousteau. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the green plaid sofa. We gave that sofa to Rebecca and Chris when they got married. It was really heavy and hard to get out of the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stripes and the flowers. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete