words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Welcome to My Kitchen--the photo tour!

 

Welcome!  Come on in!  This is what you would see of my kitchen after coming in the front door.  Of course the first thing one sees is books--lots of books.
 
 
 
But if you turn and look to your left, you'll see that the entry is also the start of the kitchen.
 
 
If you want to see any photo larger, just click on it
 
Please, walk this way.  Now you are standing in the middle of the kitchen, facing the front of the house. That is the front door off to the left, where you just came in, with my Dear Husband's vest and hat hanging there, the things he grabs when it's time to bring in more firewood.  This stand we use for the microwave is not my favorite, but it does the job, and even hides some of my bulk food storage underneath, which is helpful. It is graciously on permanent loan from DH's parents, as are the kitchen table and chairs.
 
When we first moved into this house, that is right where the fridge sat.  Old beat-up fridge right next to the front door--does that say class or what.  
 


Same view, just looking up.   The carved and turned wooden cups displayed above were made by my great-grandfather Troy Lager back in Southern Illinois.  Up there are also some pretty little turned wooden candle-stick holders--not heirlooms like the cups, but still beautiful.  I brought back all these treasures from my parents' house last summer.

 

I have to step back for a minute, to take a longer shot and help you get a feel for how the room starts all together. 
 
When we bought the bigger fridge, the only place to put it was in front of a window.  That bugs me, because we lose some light and it seems odd, but the only view from that window is the neighbor's house and bedroom window, so actually having the fridge there (and thus the curtains behind it always pulled closed) gives us more privacy.  Still, this has always in my mind been a temporary location.
 
The space next to the fridge by the window is just the right size for storing the rest of the antique wooden folding chairs, so they are ready for company.
 
It was not quite as dark in the living room as this shot would lead you to believe, but our house is pretty dim on a cloudy day like yesterday was. Still there is enough natural light for everyday living--I just turned on the lights to try to help the photos turn out.
 
 
 
For this shot I stood all the way in the living room at the foot of our bed/sofa.
 
When we first moved into this house, there was only one light in the entire kitchen-living room area--a creepy, buzzing, bad motel pull-string metal bathroom fixture over the kitchen sink.  So one of our first home improvements was putting in these lights, which I got on sale from Restoration Hardware.  My MIL proclaimed installing them was like "putting lipstick on a pig."  ; )
 
 
As you can see, most of the house is still wired with the original 1928 "knob and tube" wiring, which is actually much better wire than the stuff put into houses today!  We are slowly replacing it, and you can see where we need to finish the walls after re-wiring.  There were originally redwood valances that hung over both of the large windows and covered the curtain hardware, which we had to take down for the re-wiring.  One of these days we will put them back up, I'm sure. 
 


The one bit of beauty in my front yard--my little cottage flower garden, which you can see a glimpse of out the front kitchen window.  Someday with the fridge moved, this space could be a lovely little table nook.
 


There was a large, ugly door on that cupboard over the sink that was hinged on the right so it was obnoxious to use while cooking, so I had DH take it off years ago.  It too will be replaced someday.  Hopefully.
 
 
 
 
This photo cracks me up, because you can see that only hours after I had this kitchen as perfect as I could make it, there are already dishes back by the sink (at least mostly clean!) and stuff sitting out in use.  That yogurt container is my make-shift compost container--I'm on the hunt for something much more attractive that is worth the counter-space.






I tried a second shot with the lights off, to see if that would more accurately capture the colors of the wood and cabinets.  There is not really a corner for the trash can, so it usually lives there in front of the oven, and I just pull it out of the way whenever I need to get into the oven.  The stepladder is ugly but necessary, since most of my storage is up high. I have to move it too anytime I want to open the oven door fully.  That's ok--I use the stovetop most.

 

Why, yes, that is a gargoyle on the hutch.  Doesn't every kitchen have one? 
 


The things sitting out on these shelves probably say more about us than the rest of the kitchen (except for the fridge, when it is in full display).  Top shelf left is the family candy basket--where the excess holiday candy goes.  As hard to reach as possible. Next to it is a photo of DH and I in our Renaissance costumes, taken B.C. (Before Children).  And then comes the little pot my sister brought me back from Europe when she was studying there.  Then comes the liquor.  Finally, the tagine and platter DH and I hand carried all the way from Morocco, where we visited his sister when she was in the Peace Corps there (also B.C.). 



The best close-up I could manage.  I knew if I did not try someone would complain. ; )
 


On the middle shelf on the left is my collection of "special" loose teas (thank you for sharing from your international collection, Mom!) and my "girlfriend" tea pot and cups.

 
 
Then comes a hand-made covered dish we bought at an art fair back in Old Colorado City.  It's my only "special occasion" dish.  Then come the antique blue glass mason jars my dad gave me when they moved--which hold my everyday loose teas. 


 
All the things on the shelf used to be grouped in a manner which I found more aesthetically pleasing, but when I started to worry about earthquakes, I started to imagine the damage (and potential fire hazard) of things falling down onto the gas-burners. . . so this arrangement is not as attractive to my mind, but sets my mind to rest.
 
The bottom shelf of course has the most utilitarian objects, none of which merit description. 
 
 
 
Except for the jar of sea glass, exceptional shells, and other found treasures.  With some vibrant lichens we just brought back from Lake Tahoe on top!
 
 
 
To the right of the hutch you see the doorway to the bedroom.  With no door.
 
 

And if you look farther to the right, you see the standing cupboards that were here when we moved in, which constitute most of our in-house storage.  The missing door is to my side of the clothes closet DH and I share.  Next to it is the broom closet, and children's art supplies storage.

These cupboards are very, um, rustic, and are clearly not original to the house, which overall was well constructed, with nice details.  So one of these days I hope we will build new ones (they are not only valuable storage, but serve as a dividing wall between the kitchen and living room) and then the refrigerator will be here on the right, with the cupboards built around it.  Yes, we will lose inside storage space that way (and who knows where the vacuum will go then), but I think it is the most logical and potentially attractive place for the fridge.  



We really do have to make the most of our in-house storage, so we use the top of the cupboards too. 
 


Back to Monday night--after the ladies left, I just had to marvel at my sink cabinet, faucet, soapstone counter and sink.  I need to see them more often. ; )  I love everything about this little section of the kitchen, because this is one thing we planned and designed and made happen.  This is like a little glimpse of how cool our tiny, antique shack could be if we really put our hearts into it.  It gives me hope.


 
Thanks so much for coming by! 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Your pictorial walkthrough was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I demand photos of every room like this because it makes me feel like I can be there with you. Now when you write about having tea in your kitchen I will imagine you in that space using those beautiful cups and teapot. :)

    I am in love with your farmhouse sink and counters. Even the color of the cabinets - perfection!! I love your style. A farmhouse sink is on my wish list for our new house!!

    And I love all of the wood in your home. It is so warm!

    I'm cracking up because I read about the photo and the Renaissance costumes and I immediately wanted to ask to see it up close, and then I scrolled down to see it. lol

    Thanks so much for humoring me. It really makes me feel like I know you better after seeing your living space. This was a lot of fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have been in your home many times, I loved this tour. Apparently I never look up! I am focused on the children and you and don't notice what is above my head and on the shelves. Next visit I will take time to see the beautiful objects as well as your beautiful children. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should clarify - I wasn't cracking up because of the costumes or anything, I was just laughing because you knew that some of us would ask to see them. I love the picture and can't believe how long your husband's hair is there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, I hope you had fun seeing so many of your things (and Grandma's) being useful around the kitchen. I did not mention it specifically, but the carved wooden bowl from Hawaii is up on the spice cupboard--along with the blue bowl Rebecca also brought me from her European adventures. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, your comment was exactly why I shared this! Yes, it was the closest thing to inviting you in for a cup of tea! The little tea pot and cups are not what I use for everyday, sitting down by the computer--no, for that I have big mugs. But that little teapot and cups and what I would get down and use if you came over for chatting in the kitchen while the kids played!

    And I took your "cracking up" comment exactly how you meant it--it made me laugh too!

    Thank you for all the sweet words--and yes, I WILL do this for the whole house. Um, it just might take a few years. ; )

    (no, really I'm trying to deep clean now for company coming to stay here while we are away next week for a reunion with DH's family--don't want anyone who stays here being the least bit creeped out by seeing cobwebs and dust down in corners and cracks and neglected corners. So hopefully I'll get to take some pics next week!)

    Also, you realize I still remember when you shared pics of your house--that was so much fun, exactly for the same reasons you said above. So this is quid pro quo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, it is true--you are people oriented and so focus on me and the kids, to our benefit. : ) But also, my house is not usually all that clean, and so you always turn a blind eye--that's why you have never looked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tour! I just love your sink and cabinets, and you shelves of special items on display are beautiful! I love how you are using your space! I'm inspired to be more purposeful about what is in my kitchen and what can be seen there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures and descriptions capture the beauty that you have created in your home. I love the light that was captured too! I know that there are a lot of frustrations in your space but you have worked in love with such efficiency and thought. You make living in a small space look effortless! It was an blessing to be there the other night and share a cup of tea with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just re-visited your kitchen and agree with the previous comment. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by, Gabe, and for the sweet words. : ) And Audrey, thank you for coming by both in person the other night and here. : )

    Love you too, Mom!

    ReplyDelete