words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Anti-Procrastination Fun in the Kitchen

So, last night I had the chance to host a little Soul Kitchen "Conversations" meeting at my house.

I have had close friends over to my house, I have had one-on-one meetings at my house, I have even hosted birthday parties at my house (yes, inside!), but I have never been able to host any SK meetings, because I just don't have enough places for women to sit.  I mean, we can pack people in at our kitchen table for informal meals, with family members or friends of our kids, but it's just too close for comfort for a meeting where people will be getting out binders and calendars and other planning materials. But this meeting was just for the upcoming Fall Conversations events, and so there were just going to be three of us.  Perfect!

And also the perfect time to get motivated to do some long-overdue deep cleaning. 

I wish I had listed these things individually on my Big List of Things To Do, so I could have the pleasure of scratching them out--but instead, I'll just share these favorite bits of accomplishment with you!

I inherited these brown crocks when my Grandma died.  I had washed them before, and knew there was a gunky film on them, but thought it would be hard to get off.  I am embarrassed now to confess that I have been using them in my kitchen for THIRTEEN years now, and never tried to deep clean them.  They looked fine.  But yesterday I decided to just use some warm soapy water and baking soda--and quickly discovered that a) the gunk came off quite easily with a little elbow grease, and b) the crocks were not actually brown.


Not only are they actually bone colored stoneware, but the upper glazing is shiny.  Who knew?!



When we needed to get a new fridge a few years ago, DH wanted stainless steel.  But because I have always used our fridge doors for homeschool show-and-tell, and because this finish is not magnetic, I warned him I would be covering the beautiful stainless steel doors with taped-up artwork.  He was ok with that.  So, most of the time our fridge is covered in kid's creations, maps and timelines, etc. The tape leaves some sticky residue, but we always just cover it back up with more paper and art, so I don't pay it much mind.  But a few weeks ago we finally took down last Spring's display, which had lingered up too long.  But it being summer, I didn't have anything new to put on the fridge (except for this cute smiling sun Happy made) so I was constantly looking at the tape-marked, smudged fridge doors.  So yesterday, I used that same magical formula of warm soapy water, baking soda, and elbow grease, and voila!

I never imagined it would turn out so pristine.  It really made me happy.  (This photo was taken at night, after the ladies had gone, so the orange streaks on the door are the reflections of candles on the table.)


Even the stove-top and hot water kettle got the magic baking soda treatment!  And I oiled the soapstone counter and backsplash too, which I rarely do--but I love the way it looks when I do.


So, a few things that took some work, but which  are paying off in satisfaction!

And now--the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Because of all the deep cleaning I did the past two days in the kitchen, I am FINALLY READY TO GIVE YOU THE PHOTO TOUR.  Well, of that one room at least.

I have a feeling the women who once really wanted to see my house lost their patience a long time ago and no longer stop by.  Aubrey.  Desiree.  But Jessica, tomorrow's post is for YOU! ; )

So, come on back tomorrow, and be ready to feel SO MUCH BETTER about your own kitchen!




2 comments:

  1. Those crocks are beautiful. I'm cracking up about just finding out that they aren't brown ;)

    And good job on that stove. It looks like you could eat off of it. My stove is one of the messiest areas of my house. We have one of the flat tops and I LOATHE it. Spills get baked on and no amount of elbow grease will get them off. You have to buy special scratch-free cleaner that smells really harsh and I just don't have the energy for that, so the spills just stay there most of the time. It's so nasty.

    I'm excited for the pics. We're our own worst critics, so I'm sure it's not as messy as you think it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, my kitchen is not messy at the moment--hence the sudden urge to immortalize it I photos. ; ) But the size and condition are what will likely make others feel better about their own kitchens!

    And I totally hear you about chemical cleaners--BUT I have a tip for you! My MIL has one of those flat top stoves, and she cleans it off with a utility knife/razor/blade! The stove top is made of glass, right? So she scrapes it off like you would scrape anything off a window. And she does it often (because on hers even water drops makes spots) and just keeps the utility knife in the drawer right by the stove. It would even be safe enough around all the little kiddos, since that style of knife retracts the razor, and requires a fair amount of coordination to get it out. So, just an idea, and I hope it works for you! Then your stove can be mess free, chemical free! Please let me know if you try it. : )

    ReplyDelete