words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday blog hop--my favorite Christmas photo, so far


This photo might seem like a nice family portrait, but nothing special. Except for me, it is--because it is the ONLY nice photo we have of our entire family. I don't just mean since E was born--I mean EVER. We've just never tried hard enough to make it happen.

We usually celebrate the holidays with extended family, and there never seems to be time for a nice portait of just our family. And of course the more kids you have in the picture, normally the more photos you have to snap, in the hopes that one might turn out decently (you know, with all the kids' faces visible, and none of them looking doped or crying). So this photo, while a wee bit blurry, seems like a mini miracle. It is so good overall I can even overlook my "haven't been to the hair salon since before the baby was born" stylin.'

We were visiting D's parents in Chico and were just coming back from church. I had wanted to try to take a family photo that morning, but we were out of time--D's mom was already in the house getting lunch on the table. We only had a few minutes, and I asked D's dad if he would take a quick photo just there in the front yard, and--on a whim--suggested we all sit in that tree, mainly because it was convenient and the grass was wet. He only took TWO photos--and they both turned out GREAT!

I hope we can get another great family portrait like this some other time--without waiting another 8 years!



MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

  1. It is a lovely photo! I know just what you mean, in the 8 years that my husband and I have been together there is not ONE decent photo of the entire family and maybe one of just the kids.

    So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I know what you mean about it being so hard to get a family pic!! With 5 kids, there just never seems to be enough time to get everyone to sit down and smile for the camera!! I think your pic is great!!! Thanks for your very sweet comment on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved this photo -- but then I have always loved this family. We miss you. Hope you can get a family photo this year for my piano. I would like to get just family photos since 10 grandkids makes for a lot of pictures -- especially since we try to have their parents,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu have a beautiful family. I admire you for homeschooling, and living modestly like you do( from what I can tell by the picture and your "bio". I wish more parents would do that. Not that I have children, or a right to judge others parenting. It just seems that if kids were paid more attention, other than the "complaining and chastizing", they would be more well rounded and have more of a love of learning instead of video games and tv.
    Please stop by my blog when you get a chance and chat.

    Love and Prayers,

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very nice photo! I know how hard it is to get a crew to be still long enough for a picture.

    ReplyDelete