words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, March 9, 2012

on Hot Mom Syndrome



I read a very interesting blog article today, linked from one of the blogs I read, on what the blogger calls "Hot Mom Syndrome."  (And as I typed that my fingers slipped and I ended up with "Sindrome," which is in itself food for thought!) 

I used to be much "hotter" than I am now, and remember being aware of men's occassional looks, and wanting those looks.  Very occassional looks, but hey, you take what you can get. Even after having my second baby I was lookin' pretty good--at least with my clothes on.  But then baby #3 seemed to be the one that tipped everything over the scale, and esp. after baby #4 (and now at 40 years old) I have gained lumps and bulges where we think there shouldn't be, and I've lost a few pretty lumps where we think they should be.  I'm a thin woman, yes, but thin does not = sexy.  No, I can't pretend any more that I am anything but a thin, middle-aged frump, who can sometimes dress up real nice, but is what she is.  I have no illusions.  I like dressing to feel good about myself, so do enjoy chosing comfortable but hopefully flattering clothes, and accessories to help me feel a few years less than ancient.  But never do I fool myself nowadays into thinking that any man finds me attractive--including my husband, which is why that post from blogger Christine hit me so hard.  (And why I also appreciated the beautiful follow-up to that post a few days later on her blog, that is well worth reading.)

But really, being completely insecure about my aging post-partum body is just the flip side of the same issue those self-proclaimed "Hot Moms" are working through.  They are trying to get a grasp on their sense of self-worth, and are using the values of the world to determine it.  I have done this same thing at different times in my adult life, through taking pride in being "sexy" after having two kids (it was a very short-lived phase, by the way), and through wearing my uber-cool job of teaching film studies as a badge to somehow prove to anyone I met that I was more intelligent and interesting than I seemed otherwise. ; ) 


So just because I have no illusions of being a Hot Mom, and tisk tisk at the whole Hot Mom Syndrome, I know I am no better than they are.  I am still struggling with discovering/being content with my identity as me, the Blessed created by holy Design.  Jesus Christ is the core of that--without Him, I would be a very different person, and could not even come close to claiming the fullness of Self that is only possible in Him, and through the redeeming work of the Holy Spirit in me.  But that does not mean that I, myself, somehow get swallowed up in some corporate Christian identity, and have no worthwhile identity outside of that.  No, God made me, His unique Blessed creation, just the way He wanted to.  There is value in me, just as I am created.  There is beauty in me, just as I am, and in my worn body that reflects a bounty of life-giving.  There is intelligence and creativity and wisdom in me too, that is hopefully seen in my life, in how I respond to the challenges of daily living.  (Notice I did not say perfection--far from it!  But all these things are growing in me, daily.) The world does not see these things the way God sees them, and certainly cannot value them as God does.  So I need to keep working on seeing and valuing the way God does--only then can I really see myself, value myself. 

Looking up old posts to link while writing just now, I was surprised and a little chagrined to remember one of my very first posts on this blog, which perfectly demonstrates that looking for and finding my identity and sense of self-worth through God's eyes and not the world's eyes will be part of my life's journey. 

Then again, there's nothing wrong with receiving a well-intentioned compliment, and letting the warmth from any positive human interaction to spread to your soul.  : )  If it is a sin to need so badly to be a sexual object for self-worth, then it is surely an equal sin to denounce my physical self as worthless, as unsexy.  It's a sin against God, against my husband, against femininity, against motherhood, against myself. 


That's what Christine's posts were about--why her posts were encouraging women to see ourselves as sexy, as Smokin' Hot Mamas.  There is beauty, healing, grace in claiming that title when the world (and that little demon of sneering self-doubt in our minds) says we should not.  This is not vanity--this is another form of laying our selves on the altar for Christ.  Another way we give over living lies and instead claim Truth.  Another way we accept His redemption for our bodies/spirits.  Another way we embrace life fully, being content and thankful with what we have been given, and using whatever we have been given to bless others.

(No, really, me embracing my Smokin' Hot Servant of the Lord side has huge ramifications.  Sure, it blesses me and my husband.  It has resulted in four kids, who will hopefully be a blessing to the world. But even the way I view myself will affect my three girls, and the way they view themselves--a view which they might then pass on to their daughters!  The way I view myself might affect other women, who read this blog, or who are friends IRL.  I can easily believe that our distorted view of the world/ourselves in the world's eyes can have a ripple effect, spreading out and very subtly damaging so many aspects of our lives and ministries.

My heart goes out to those Hot Moms.  There but for the grace of God go I.

4 comments:

  1. "If it is a sin to need so badly to be a sexual object for self-worth, then it is surely an equal sin to denounce my physical self as worthless, as unsexy."

    Thank you for this. This whole post was a blessing to me, but I especially needed to hear what I quoted.

    I struggle with vanity and so I feel like I try very hard to turn away from anything that contributes to that struggle. In a way, I have let myself go because I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person. Focusing on my weight causes me to obsess about it in unhealthy ways - same thing with my hair, my clothes, etc. So I feel like I've tried to turn away from that part of my life to make myself as frumpy as possible just to avoid the temptation to focus on those things (this is part of my reasoning for covering my hair and dressing the way I do). And let's face it - just like you said, baby #3 wrecked my body (and my ability to take any time to care for the way I look). When I say let myself go, I mean goooooooooo (my poor eyebrows and cuticles).

    I am very lucky to have a husband that loves me the way I am. But just this morning we were talking and he said something about how the older we get, the less he sees me in worldly terms of beauty. He still sees me as beautiful physically, but it's just not what he first notices about me anymore. It's the things I do for my family and the things I say that really attract him to me.

    When he said that it made me happy that he values me for those things above all else because I know my beauty will continue to fade with time. But in another way it made me sort of sad because I DO miss being his young, sexy wife. Deep down I don't want to be frumpy - I want to be smokin' hot for him (and only him).

    I guess you reminded me that it's OK to be sexy and to recognize that side of myself. Sometimes I wish everything didn't have to be so black and white to me.

    Sorry to unload here, but your post really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't apologize, Jessica--I LOVE hearing from friends about the things that are on my mind too. I am so glad you got something out of what I wrote, since I got something out of the original article and thinking about the issue. I'm coming to terms with the idea that it is a perverse form of vanity and self-worship to so focusedly demean our physical, sexual selves--in whatever shape they may be in--as unworthy of love (our husband's and our own self-love). It elevates our own misperceptions, fears, loathings, lies above God's truth of WHO and WHAT he created us to be. He created us as sexual beings--who are we to deny that?! Esp. to do so under the guise of self-defense, self-pity, or false modesty.

    So in that way, it is not only OK to be sexy, but good for us, and honoring to God! You know, when done in appropriate context, and not allowed to morph into regular vanity.

    And being Righteously Sexy means rockin' that head covering and long denim skirt, if that's the clothing that makes you feel right with God! Sexy is not about what we wear or whether or not we shave our legs or our age--none of that. It is a frame of mind. It says, no matter what we look like or feel like, "I'm a healthy sexual being because I am created to be by the One who knows best--and who knows me best." And then act like we believe it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought that all of my stretch marks and extra sags are not just leftover scars from pregnancy, but leftover beauty from my bountiful life. To deny them would be to deny the beauty of motherhood. Thank you for this Truth that I will be pondering... I definitely think our women's ministry could benefit from some thoughts in this direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading and responding! This is awesome... oh, I can relate to those stretch marks, friend. xo Cassandra @ The Unplugged Family

    ReplyDelete