words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, July 12, 2012

the freecycle fairy

It starts like this:

Find stashes of still good stuff you don't really have a place or need for.  Grandmothers' attics are a great place to look.

Do you hear that, Smiley?


Saw them in concert there in at my hometown in Illinois in '87.  Now in California, where the actual Joshua Trees are. Small world.


You mean we can take Amanda the Honey Bear with us?  Yes, my dear girl, but only to find her a good home through freecycle.

And naturally leads to this:

Blessed
to Santa Cruz County Freecycle
OFFER: retro 80's digital clock--wor​king

A classic 1980's digital clock, with red luminous numbers, 2 alarms, radio, light, can run on battery or plug into wall.  ALL WORKS GREAT!

The only problem with this retro bad boy is that my husband just cracked the plastic front that covers the number display. : (  So, we decided to downgrade it from living room status (yes, we are that chic--it matched the boombox we use for a stereo ; ), but don't have use for it in any other rooms.

This clock radio would be PERFECT in a shop or garage or basement, someplace where you might want the radio and clock components and don't need it to look perfect.

Best of all, I will bring it to you!  Just tell me in your reply roughly where you are located and I will choose a recipient based upon the errands I will be running this week.

------------------------------------------------
Blessed
to Santa Cruz County Freecycle
OFFER: five wooden badminton raquets

raquets?  rackets?  you know what I mean.

Four vintage-feel wooden badminton raquets, some of which are slightly warped.  originally a very nice set--made in Japan.  warped didn't matter for my husband and kids and I to play with them in the yard--HYSTERICAL fun!  But now we have inherited another set and so want to find a home for these. 

If you are interested, I might be able to bring them to you! just let me know in your response roughly where you live.

--------------------------------------------------
Blessed
to Santa Cruz County Freecycle
OFFER: old but clean stuffed animals, including giant bunny

I have two medium sized stuffed animals from my childhood, recently reclaimed from my parents' attic in the Midwest.  They are in good used condition, and have lots of loving left in them--one is a bear, one is a dog.

The large bunny, Peter of course, is about 32 inches high, and is made for hugging.  All three stuffed animals smell and feel clean--just not new. My kids would love to keep them, but we just don't have room, so we brought them home from the grandparents' to freecycle.

Anyone have a home for them?

i will gladly bring them to you!  Just tell me roughly what area of town you are in, and I will choose according to my errands this next week.

----------------------------------------------------
Blessed
to Santa Cruz County Freecycle
OFFER: music, movie posters and art prints

I am hoping this offer makes somebody (or several somebodies) excited.  I just recovered all the posters my sister and I had up on the walls in high school and college.

music lot:
The Cure--Boys Don't Cry (the huge one)
Pixies
REM--tourfilm
U2--tour posted from the Joshua Tree tour
and a-ha!
 
art print lot:
2 Monet
3 M. C. Escher
1 Norman Rockwell

movie:
original Princess Bride poster (large)
original Willow poster (small)

i only ask that you take all of one lot, or take the whole lot! 

best of all, I will bring to you!  When you respond, just tell me roughly what area of town you are in, and I can bring by as I do errands next week.  I might be anywhere from Aptos to Scotts Valley, so never hurts to ask!


Which naturally leads to this:

Lynessa
to Blessed

I would LOVE that Princess Bride poster. It's my favorite movie.

-----------------------------
Brenda
to Blessed

Hello and good morning Blessed!

I would be delighted to receive the music posters. I'm a HUGE fan of The Cure and U2 and really like the Pixies, too. If these aren't already spoken for I would love to give them an honored space on my walls.

-----------------------------
Mary
to Blessed

Hi, i would love your clock, i have been looking for one for a while. i hope it has not been taken.

-----------------------------
Tehya
to Blessed

hi! we would love these! my daughter and i would have a blast on the beach..

-----------------------------

etc.

And ends up with:

me driving all over the Santa Cruz area in the dark tonight, dropping off goodies on people's doorsteps.  I was planning on doing it in bits and pieces, arranging my other errands and freecyling to be most efficient, but traffic during the day has been terrible (lots of tourist traffic as well as untimely construction on the highway) and my in-laws are coming this weekend, and I decided it would be well worth it to go out and about tonight after the kids were tucked into bed.

All the things I listed have new homes. And some of the things I delivered was to a family who are foster-adopting two little girls, and talking with the Grandma for a few minutes, I found out they homeschool, and do it through the same charter we do!

Freecycle is soooooo much fun.  You don't have to drop things off--most people just set them out and wait for someone to come get them.  But when I have things to go, I love just getting them gone, so I happily drive them to their new homes over the course of a week or so, as I do errands.

But tonight, it was totally worth the gas and time just to have them out of my life.

There will be quite a few people with surprises on their doorsteps in the morning!


Peter the rabbit is likely cuddling his new child, Brianna, tonight.  He and his other stuffed companions were delivered last week, left sitting on the porch of the interested family with a sign between Peter's paws that introduced them all by name and said they were so glad to be at their new home.  I got the cutest email from the mom later, telling me her daughter had decided not to change their names, since they had those names for so long, and that she loves them. : )



5 comments:

  1. How nice of you to drop the stuff off yourself! I've never used freecycle, but I think I'm going to have to check it out now.

    The pic with the poster and Smiley is adorable BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the pic of Smiley with the poster as well as with Peter. I am so glad you found new homes for all those things. We took a huge load of books, CDs, and videos to the public library and have given a large box of books to the VA hospital in Danville. We also have made several trips to Goodwill with carloads of stuff. But freecycling is so much more fun. It gives a kind of connection with the people receiving the goodies! I just wish I could have gotten back on freecycle here. I know that as we are actually packing up to move, we will have more to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NNNNNNOOOOO ... Not that a-ha posters!!! ;-P Down here we use craigslist for both resale and free items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone had to love that boys don't cry poster. I can't believe those things were still around!

    I guess it is both a blessing and a curse that my parents moved out of my childhood home year ago, and that they are not sentimental because they got rid of all but about 2 boxes of my stuff. I was not around for any of the purging - just received a boxes of whatever they thought I should keep. Don't you have a picture of two of the walls in your room? They were like works of art! If you do, post one please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mina, now you know why was suddenly sending you a-ha clips on facebook--all the nostalgia surrounding me in IL had them totally in my mind. : )

    Overall, Susan, I'd say it was a blessing not to go through your stuff--but I have had a lot of fun. . . And I don't know if I have a pic of my walls or not! I once did, but my dad accidentally threw away my photo album after college, and it might have been in there. . . It's fun to know you liked them. I liked them for sooooo long. : )

    ReplyDelete