words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, September 5, 2011

Another little house anecdote



What I wrote earlier this morning brought back to mind another favorite memory of mine, something that I wrote about in the comments to a post a looooooong time back, so most of you probably never saw it.  I like it so much, I'm going to share it again here, a story that happened back in December of 2008:

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
At Christmas, we visited DH's grandma's home, which is a spacious 4 bedroom 1950's ranch style house. The girls could potentially play almost anywhere in the house, esp. on the seeming miles of carpet, which is a novelty for them. While hanging out in the living room one afternoon, I sat on the short end of Grandma's vintage 60's "L" shaped sofa to nurse Smiley. Soon DH came over and sat a few feet away on the long side of the "L" to put up his feet on the coffeetable and read a magazine. Then one of the girls came to "nap" and stretched out on the other side of her daddy with a throw pillow and afghan. A few minutes later, I was bemused to look up again and realize that the other two girls had taken up residence with their toys between me and DH, and now all of my family was sitting engaged in various activities within a 5 ft. space on that sofa. The sofa is in the corner, with FOUR other cozy recliners or couches or rockers to choose from in the room, all much more centrally located and with better natural lighting. But no, my family must have unconsciously gravitated to be near each other. We clearly don't have much need for personal space!

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
It still gives me the warm fuzzies. 

The original post that led to this comment is here.  Those of you who are intriqued about our house, or who need encouragement about your own house today--you should enjoy it. : )

3 comments:

  1. I remember when you were here a couple of years ago, and we put Sunny and Merry to bed on the twin beds in the little bedroom. They were really happy as they each snuggled down with a book in their separate beds. But it wasn't long before they came downstairs and asked if they could sleep together (in one bed). I still smile when I think of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for reminding me, mom.

    Jessica, I knew you would like it--very small house romantic. : )

    ReplyDelete