words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

e. e. cummings - i thank you God for most this amazing

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

3 comments:

  1. I just rehearsed a song based on that poem last night at choir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many songs based upon that poem there might be, because we sang one in Madrigals in h.s. I can't remember how the alto line starts, but I can pick it up at "blue true dream of sky" and go from there. IN fact, it was in my head, which is why I posted this! My favorite parts of the song are "happening illimitably earth" and "any-lifted"--if it is the same song, you will know what I mean. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh--I mean my favorite parts other than the last two lines, which are just gorgeous sung. : )

    ReplyDelete