words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, January 10, 2013

On the 8th Day of (Blogging About) Christmas, my Mother Gave to Me

Sorry--I'm just not done talking about Christmas after all.  Originally, I thought it would be fun to keep writing about Christmas during the 12 days of Christmas, which end on Epiphany.  (I have just this year figured out what those actually were in the history of the church, and was pleased with the idea of so quickly applying that new knowledge in my own life, in my own way. ; )

Then life happened, and you all know how that goes.

Nothing bad is going on, don't worry!  We have so far avoided the whole sickness thing that seems to be hitting people coast to coast, although I am already getting smacked by some seasonal allergy, which greatly diminishes my energy and drive.  But even still, I am getting homeschooling back up into gear, and am purging, and my house is filthy, so as I go through cupboards and bins trying to purge and find homes for the new Christmas presents, I am also deep cleaning as I go.

So even if it is taking me well into the New Year and way past the window of culturally acceptable Christmas blogging, there are things I still want to share with you. All good stuff!  So, a few more days of "Christmas" to go here on O Blessed Day!

Today I want to show you all the complete fashion show of my adorable Smiley in the new outfit my mother made for him for Christmas.  As some of you may remember from previous fashion posts, like here and here and here, my mother is an expert seamstress and hand-sewing artist.  

Normally she makes things for the girls, but this year she finished a project for the boy:

Barnyard themed cord jacket and overalls! 

(These pics were taken next to my flower garden, at the front side of the house--with our neighbor's lovely seafoam-colored house behind.) 

(Double-click on any pic to see them all enlarged)

The back of the jacket. . . (and look at how my mother expertly lined up the plaid in the back of those overalls!!! That's the kind of subtle detail that really elevates her creations to the next level.)


Work it, baby, work it.  My little GQ model. 


Close-up on the lamb detail on one front pocket. 


Close-up of the rooster on the other side. 


With the jacket unsnapped, so you can see the overalls and their smocking scene.


The cutest farmyard scene!  All that needlework is meticulously done by hand, people!  And do you see how the lining on the inside of the jacket is also farmyard themed?


I rolled up the bottoms of the pants just because he was wearing his boots--they are long enough that he will get to wear this for at least another year, which is perfect. 


By the way, he insisted I button up that top button on the shirt, which cracks me up.  So little farmer geeky!


The outfit is just too adorable on him, Mother.  He loves it, and wants to wear it all the time.  Like yesterday.  And today.  


In this picture I told him to act like he was giving you a hug.  In lieu of the real thing, here you go!  


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics and kind words. I am glad he has some growing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious. Your mother is so talented! I want one for each of my boys :)

    And Smiley is starting to look older - less like a baby and more like a big boy. He's so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is such an awesome outfit! Your little boy is so blessed and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Your mother is amazing! What a beautiful outfit, and smiley is one handsome little farmer geek (we LOVE geeks around here and have a few ourselves).

    ReplyDelete