words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thank you, Mom

So the posting I made a few days ago about clothes for the girls made me think about all the pretty and useful things my mother has made for us over the years. Going back through the photo archives, I realize there are too many that I do not have photos of the girls wearing. But with those photos I did find, I will now post a fashion show of many of the things Mom has made that we have enjoyed for many years. Thank you, Mom, for all the love and care you have put into your artistic creations! Happy Mother's Day. : )
(If you want to see any of the gorgeous detail on the smocking of these dresses, just double click on the photo)

B's baby quilt

Fishies! (all the dresses are hand smocked)

Princess M, Summer '08

Princess G

Princess B

Sweater Mom made for my older sister when she was little--here on M

Monkey costume made for my little sister's older boys, handed on to us, now handed back for her youngest boy!


M's baby quilt (I pick the fabrics, Mom does the work!)


Another costume passed between sisters for maximum enjoyment. Rawrrrr!


Pioneer girl dress Mom made for my older sister for Halloween long ago, worn roughly 30 years later for Halloween by G



My favorite dress when I was a girl. I was thrilled G could wear it last summer.

Newborn G on her quilt


Newborn E on his quilt (the back side), wearing a sweater mom knitted for my older sister before she was born




A lot of these dresses are hand-me-downs from my older sister, who has two girls roughly the same age apart as mine are from each other.

G with D's sister at their cousin's wedding


Love them bibs!!!!!!





We call this our Colonial girl dress--also from my childhood--and play accordingly




Thank you, Grandma!

5 comments:

  1. wow
    your mom is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! I love all the halloween costumes. And that bib is ingenious! How blessed you are to have someone in your family that talented! The rest of us have to go and BUY our clothes at stores, how boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, do they were dresses all the time?
    Wow, your mom is amazing!
    I'm impressed with the durability of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Dawn, they do wear dresses quite a bit--but playdresses. Like the little fishie dress in the second pic--that one was a great out and about dress, so brightly colored I was not worried about it getting dirty or stained. But most of the dresses Mom makes are church dresses, so most of the pics are after church or on Easter or Christmas. : ) So that also explains why we can hand them down, and down, and down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shera, if you ever have a baby, I will give you one of the bibs! You will love it! (Susan's family dubbed it the "Uberbib") (sorry, don't know how to make an umlaut)

    ReplyDelete